We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tikal in one day or overnight?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Tikal in one day or overnight?

Considering just doing a day tour to Tikal from San Ignacio in Belize, rather than staying overnight in the national park.

Any opinions on which is better? We will also be visiting other ruins whilst in Belize.

Thanks!

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tikal in one day or overnight?

Whether you stay in the park over night or do a day tour from San Ignacio, you'll still probably see the ruins of Tikal for only around 4 hours.The question is, would you rather be rested up before doing so or make it an entire day long adventure? As long as you go there, that's the important thing.

Knoxville, Tennessee
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tikal in one day or overnight?

It depends on the level of your interest. I have done both one day and stayed overnight. Most people don't explore the entire site like I did. I preferred the overnight that allows you to avoid crowds after they have left and see the ruins after dark. The howler monkeys sound like lions- unforgettable!

Kelowna, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tikal in one day or overnight?

We did the trip from San Ignacio to Tikal overnight, and for us it was worth it. We stayed late in the day, and watched the day turn turn to almost dusk with, I'm not kidding, 2 other people in the main plaza. We were essentially alone there! We then did the sunrise tour the next morning which was great as well ( part of our hotel cost for the night), sitting on top of one of the structures as day broke listening to howler monkeys was well worth it. To each there own but I'd recommend investing the time to stay the night...

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tikal in one day or overnight?

Well, I already made up my mind to spend the night in the park at the end of this month to be able to relax and enjoy the sunset and sunrise. I have heard good things about spending the night.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tikal in one day or overnight?

Jane,

Tikal is one of the great archeological sites in the world so don't shortchange your time.

Seeing it in late afternoon and early morning--with few folks around is magical.

3 of us went with Elias Cambranes, an incredibly interesting guide, and a splendid storyteller who brought the culture alive for us. He's also a true

gentleman, so you can ask his advice.

tikaldaytrip@yahoo.com is his address

Susan of New York

Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
255 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tikal in one day or overnight?

I agree -stay overnight. There was hardly anyone around early morning and late afternoon, and the howler monkeys do sound like lions!

Guayaquil
Level Contributor
1 post
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tikal in one day or overnight?

I recommend doing Tikal in one day, but it's a long day. I left Guatemala City at 6:30 a.m. on a TAG flight, but TACA also has early flights. It takes 55 minutes to fly from Guatemala City to Flores, Peten. The tour operators put me back on the 5 p.m. flight, and I felt as if I had seen everything I wanted to.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,974 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tikal in one day or overnight?

Just popping in here now as I was in Guatemala and Belize during the time of all but the most recent post. No question at all for me - go for the overnight! It's incredibly different to explore the ruins and jungle in the cooler evening and early morning hours when wildlife is active and you practically have the place to yourselves rather than in the heat of the day with the rest of the day trippers, spending more time on the road than you do at the site. Consider hiring archaeologist/naturalist Roxy Ortiz, it could be the highlight of your trip.

http://tikalroxy.blogspot.com/

9. Re: Tikal in one day or overnight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Tikal National Park