We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xela to Coban/Lanquin by local bus travel report

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
227 reviews
Xela to Coban/Lanquin by local bus travel report

We made this journey September 2016 and wanted to share.

Everyone told us (both internet and face to face) that this journey could not be done by local bus and that we would have to get a tourist shuttle via Guatemala City at a cost of $52+ per person and would take approx 10hours.

Our journey to Coban from Xela cost 210Q for both of us and Coban to Lanquin was 50Q for both....costing 130Q ($17.40) each instead of 390Q.

In Xela we took a taxi from our hostel to the bus station (Terminal Minerva) costing 40Q and taking roughly 10mins. Once at the terminal we asked for the bus to Santa Cruz Del Quiche and we were led to the right bus.

Bus No 1 from Xela to Santa Cruz Del Quiche left at 8am and cost us 25Q each. We got into SCDQ at 10:30am.

Bus No 2 (minibus) from SCDQ to Uspantan left at 10:50am and cost us 30Q each. We arrived in Uspantan at 1:30pm.

Bus No 3 (minibus) from Uspantan to Coban left at 2:10pm and cost us 30Q each. We arrived in Coban at 5:00pm after driving over some bad roads and through a storm.

We stayed in Coban overnight to break up the journey.

The next day we had a leisurely start and after breakfast got a bus from Coban to Lanquin which left at 10:00am and cost us 25Q each. This got into Lanquin at 12:00pm.

We could have made the whole journey in one day but had spent enough time on busses the first day, plus time was not an issue.

If anyone wants any more info please let me know.

24 replies to this topic
Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: Xela to Coban/Lanquin by local bus travel report

Good info, thanks. I'm impressed that you could get from Xela to Coban that quickly. Was it all by bus or did you take a van sometimes?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
227 reviews
2. Re: Xela to Coban/Lanquin by local bus travel report

The first one was chicken bus and the others minivan which is standard in that area. They were the local minivans and not tourist ones

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
3. Re: Xela to Coban/Lanquin by local bus travel report

Good report, but man, who the heck were you talking to? Pretty much anyone who knows the country, either locals or foreigners, will tell you that it's fairly easy to get virtually anywhere by local buses, and this route (through Quiche) is well known and has been posted on boards like this and TT for years.

Great info, but I'm surprised that anyone would have told you it wasn't possible... and I wouldn't give too much credence those sources in the future.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Xela to Coban/Lanquin by local bus travel report

It could be done more comfortably on buses - Pullman type - Xela to GC, GC to Coban, in about the same amount of time. Not sure what that costs these days. It certainly wouldn't be as scenic.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
227 reviews
5. Re: Xela to Coban/Lanquin by local bus travel report

Totally agree, it was the cost that made us take the other route, we have no time constraint but are on a budget and it was considerably cheaper

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
227 reviews
6. Re: Xela to Coban/Lanquin by local bus travel report

Well if the info is out there I made a horrid job of finding it, as for my sources ( hostal owner, bar owners and tour companies) I can only go on what they tell me, maybe I shall refrain from posting information I thought would be useful

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,925 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Xela to Coban/Lanquin by local bus travel report

Thanks for your report. Xela to Coban in a day can be done and it is good to hear that confirmed by someone who did it recently. So that stretch between Uspantan and Coban is still bad... it was when we did it in 2011. We went from Coban to Uspantan (stayed overnight), then to Nebaj (great area by the way) and then on to Xela (but we went via Sacapulas and Huehue).

West Vancouver...
Level Contributor
112 posts
19 reviews
8. Re: Xela to Coban/Lanquin by local bus travel report

I personally thank you for your report. I live in Guatemala, Lake Atitlan, and enjoy reading about different forms of travel. Rob Or Enrotesiglo is always putting people down, but once again ,I thank you.

San Marcos La...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Xela to Coban/Lanquin by local bus travel report

Just got back from the Guatemala city landfill Steve. Suffice it to say, there won't be a problem much longer. And you owe me 40Q

London
3 posts
10. Re: Xela to Coban/Lanquin by local bus travel report

We are in Guatemala at the moment and most places we have stayed are pushing the tourist buses, a lot of backpackers as that's who we have mostly talked to are using the shuttles.....our experience so far is the chicken buses are fine, you change a lot, 4 times between Atitclan and Xela but you never have to wait around and they are very cheap and friendly.

Reply to: Xela to Coban/Lanquin by local bus travel report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted