We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If safety or sanity is not a concern, choose Adrenalina Tour

Post Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
If safety or sanity is not a concern, choose Adrenalina Tour

If you are considering Adrenalina Tours for your transportation needs, please look elsewhere. First off, they are expensive. The charged 150 quetzals for a 2 hour trip from Xela to Atitlan in a cramped shuttle which switched off to an even more cramped car (where I had to sit my hiking backpack on my knees because their was no room in the trunk even though the driver repeatedly slammed the trunk down on top of my bag trying to force it to fit, luckily I had nothing fragile stored in there or it would have been destroyed). I paid the same price for a comfortable greyhound style bus ride twice the distance from the capital to xela (WITH a bathroom!).

Secondly, their drivers are PSYCHOTIC. The first driver was swearing and cursing because he was late and then he had a cellphone ringer that was a recording of a dog being tortured which made me want to vomit every time I heard it (and it was VERY loud). He would get this little grin on his face every time he saw the passengers reaction to it. Then the driver from Atitlan to Antigua started out our relationship by screaming at all the passengers about whose luggage belonged to who and where it was going. Once we got to the hotel (after the driver literally screamed at us that it was our stop), the driver got up on to roof (and stepped on my arm almost every time he got onto the roof since he used my window as a ladder) and THREW my bag off the roof, which only missed smashing my head into the curb by a few inches because my sister was watching him and shoved me out of the way before it hit me. He tried to throw her luggage as well, but it was too heavy for him to throw and so he ended up dropping it off the side. I am usually pretty even tempered, but I was upset because he could have REALLY hurt me, my bag was not light. We kept trying to recount WHAT we could have done to make him so mad but we finally decided that was his normal temperament (which was affirmed by one of the hotel staff who had seen him before). Then he jumped off the roof and left us in a cloud of exhaust. NOT a good experience.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If safety or sanity is not a concern, choose Adrenalina Tour

sorry to hear of this and duely noted for our trip in August.

Fortunately we have a differant tour company

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,233 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If safety or sanity is not a concern, choose Adrenalina Tour

I'm really sorry for this terrible experience. I've used Adrenalina for hundreds of trips over the years and recommend them highly. I'll pass your information along so they can deal with the problem. Do you remember if the vehicles said Adrenalina on them or another provider? The only bad experience we've had with them was a time when we reserved through Adrenalina but were the only ones on the route so instead of driving a separate car they passed us along to a different provider.

PS The shuttles are nearly always crammed full and the pullman buses always more comfortable. Because the shuttles are so easy to set up and have a more accommodating schedule than the pullman buses, they remain popular anyway.

Edited: 9:04 am, July 16, 2011
Shelby, North...
Level Contributor
223 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If safety or sanity is not a concern, choose Adrenalina Tour

WOW! Not my idea of a good time.

Houston
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If safety or sanity is not a concern, choose Adrenalina Tour

I'm sorry for your trip, it must have been awful, but your writing was great. The imagery made me giggle because it seemed so absurd and I felt I was right there watching it. Again, sorry it happened to you, but you're a great writer and I appreciated your post!

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: If safety or sanity is not a concern, choose Adrenalina Tour

Had a mixed bag with Adrenalina. They contract out a lot of the shuttles/tours you purchase through them so you are not necessarily traveling with their drivers. I wish we had known this in advance. I had one trip in particular that was awful. They said they did not know where our hotel was and dropped us off an hour away. We ended up having to change reservations. The other 3 shuttles we booked were cramped and very small, but fine. I wish we had looked into other larger buses/shuttles though. The ones we were on were by far the smallest I saw compared to other shuttle companies.

Antigua, Guatemala
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: If safety or sanity is not a concern, choose Adrenalina Tour

I have travelled all over Guatemala and highly recommed traveling with Guinness Travel!

Check out their website at....

http://www.guinness-travel.com

Guinness is based in Antigua and offers safe, private tours all over Guatemala that include a 24/7 private English/Spanish guide, private transportation, and nice accomodations. The guides are friendly and funny and have your safety and comfort as their top priority!

Happy travels!

Antigua, Guatemala
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: If safety or sanity is not a concern, choose Adrenalina Tour

With Guinness Travel you will ALWAYS travel with Guinness..never will you get passed along to another company. That is a common problem when there are not enough persons for a trip, and unfortunatley can ruin your experience!

Hoffman Estates...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If safety or sanity is not a concern, choose Adrenalina Tour

I agree!

Do not use this company. There are plenty other companies that offer tours. The driver that drove us up to the hot springs had no care for passenger, pedestrian or vehicle safety. It was extremely foggy and the mountains were riddled with narrow roads, dirt, rocks, cows and was extremely whinny. At no point did he slowed down unless he was busy honking the horn at a slower/safer car to gie out of his way.

The only reason we used this company was because a woman/girl worked there that spoke English. Unfortunantely she was a complete IDIOT. She put us down for the wrong day (we specifically requested Suday because the market was only opened on Saturday, and we were only there for 13 days so Saturday was the only day for the market) there were three people in the room when she said Domingo (Sunday). She showed us how she wrote us down for the wrong day and insisted that it was not her fault and we can either take the afternoon shuttle up to the Spring or do something else. NO REFUNDS EVER.

I would never recommend this company, especially since there are so many other wonderful companies out there. I took another day off for another exclusion with another company and they were wonderful.

Customer service does in fact exist in Xela, peopele are generally wonderful, but just not with this company.

DO NOT USE ADRENALINA TOURS.

Edited: 11:03 pm, August 29, 2012
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,233 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If safety or sanity is not a concern, choose Adrenalina Tour

Can you provide any specifics like date or driver's name? What was your departure point in Xela? You were visiting Fuentes Georginas? I'd like to pass the information along to the managers at Adrenalina that I work with so they can look into it. I used them to haul groups all over the highlands again this summer and every experience was top notch - great vehicles and prompt, safety conscious drivers. I'm really sorry to hear you had such a dreadful experience and think they'd want to know about it.

3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: If safety or sanity is not a concern, choose Adrenalina Tour

o

Get answers to your questions about Quetzaltenango
More Quetzaltenango Topics