We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Markets, weavers and Textiles

Which Panajachel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pkk
San Antonio tx
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Markets, weavers and Textiles

Hello All Trip Advisor Experts!!

I am planning a trip to Guatemala. I want to visit markets. I will definitely plan on visiting San Francisco Alto, Salcaja, Chichi, and the textile market in Pana in front of the Fire station. I will be in Guatemala for 2 weeks. Does anyone have any other recommendations on markets or towns to visit?

thank you in advance for your suggestions on markets or places to shop.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Markets, weavers and Textiles

You should check out some of the weaving coops in San Juan La Laguna.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,837 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Markets, weavers and Textiles

I 2nd Craig's recommendation for San Juan. The prices tend to be really high there but they have some traditional textile styles that are gorgeous. I think Nim Pot by the Santa Catalina Arch in Antigua is a good place to start. I generally find the best shopping in Pana but Nim Pot is like a museum - good information about the huipiles associated with different locales.

California
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Markets, weavers and Textiles

Yes, San Juan Woman's Coop is high priced but the quality is quite good. From what I was told when there in December, was that in order for the women to belong, they had to grow their own cotton, make their own dyes too. They use bamboo in many of their items. The beaded jewelery was gorgeous but I didn't buy. I did buy a few pancho's for $30 each and a gorgeous baby holder for a friend for $40. I did not bargain as it was not that type of place. Oh, the best thing I got was a beautiful belt which I had made into a camera strap. I forget what I paid for the belt but they charged me about $1.50 to sew it to my camera and toss out the old. I love it.

Missouri
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Markets, weavers and Textiles

Making a note to go to San Juan while I'm there this summer. My list of places to go around the lake is getting long. I might have to cut the week in Honduras at this rate, lol!

California
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Markets, weavers and Textiles

It took us a bit of walking around to find the Woman's Cooperative. You do not need to hire a tour unless you want to listen to their talk on weaving, etc. There were about 10 people there doing that. We found it not needed as the woman who sold us our items spoke perfect English. You can do this all on your own. I think three hours is enough time there if you want to throw in a lunch on the way back to the boats. There are a few restaurants on the way. There are also lots of other people selling goods but we did not look or buy because we wanted to buy what we knew was quality but for little gifts if you are getting some, buying from others may be much cheaper. I don't do souvenir stuff anymore; just special gifts.

California
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Markets, weavers and Textiles

Oh I forgot. There is a fantastic little leather shop very close to the Woman's Coop. on the way down to the boats. Beautiful purses and shoes, etc. I did not price but my daughter purchased three purses there the year before and loves them. You can watch them make it all by hand.

pkk
San Antonio tx
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Markets, weavers and Textiles

do you by chance recall the name or location of the leather purses? I would love to look or buy one.

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Markets, weavers and Textiles

The leather shop is called La Cuerva (the cave), and it is located on the same street as the Maya Hotel. Nicolas "Niko" is the owner, and he is not always open. He has struggled to make a full time living of his leather working, so he has to work on the farm as well. If he is closed, just bang on the door or ask around and someone in his family will call him to come open the shop. He has amazing work and can make you a custom pair of mocasons for around $50 if you have a couple of days.

California
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Markets, weavers and Textiles

Sorry do not know name or even how to find it. San Juan is not big. If you find the Woman's Coop. (probably can with google) go there first as the leather shop is on the way down from it but very close to it. I am sure that one of the young women working at the Coop will tell you where it is. They make shoes too. We spent the night at the Village but I was sick so I had no energy to give it a real good look. Same goes for the Coop as if I had not been sick I would certainly have purchased more items. I have a paper on the Coop (somewhere) and if I find it I will message you but you will find it as it is the "tourist attraction" for people who like textiles and quality.

10. Re: Markets, weavers and Textiles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 29, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Panajachel