We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

Victoria, BC Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

We were there in January and asked two different ex-pats about a safe ATM to get money. There have been many problems with having your cards compromised at machines in that town. The ATM at the local grocery store is safe according to the ex-pats. It is inside the door of the Dispensa Familia. That store is about a 10 minute walk from the lake. You need to be ready to enter your information quickly as it does time out super fast but we had no problem getting money.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

Millsy - Best to keep checking. That ATM near the dock has been a suspicious one in the past. Frequently the fraudulent withdrawals are made months after the use of a compromised ATM.

Last year I set up a travel account at a different bank from where I normally do my banking; ATM card use is free and I use it while traveling, then change my password and empty it so I don't have worries about subsequent removal of the funds if the ATMs are buggy. I have it set up with daily emailed balance notices so I can keep an eye on my balance without having to use my bank password in questionable wifi environments.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

Not only did I get ripped off in the ATM in Pana right near the Church, but also in Antigua. My friends, a total of 3, were ripped off at the same ATM at the Parque. Do you think people make this stuff up? If so, to what end? These are the facts. People get robbed this way very often in Guatemala. That's where it's at. Doesn't stop me from returning

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
176 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

The other ATM in Pana that I've never heard of problems at and I use on a daily basis as I live here, is the ATM connected to the Banco Industrial on Calle Santander. If you have a problem you just go into the bank, unlike the other ATMs.

Equally use the BI ATM in the Dispensar Familiar (grocery store) where there are 2 as again you can go to BI if you have a problem.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

Pat10463, which ATM in Antigua was the source of your problem? The BAC one (often with an armed "guard") has been unsafe in past, but I've not heard of problems with the 5B one close to the Northwest corner of the plaza.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

i too have used the machine in the Dispensa with no problems.....people in Pana recommend that one......

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

The one right near the Church......was a while ago but not the last time i got ripped in Guate....my friends (3) and I got ripped for several thousand dollars, all of us, at the Parque Central in Antigua, the one with the security guard lol....Another way to acquire your cash is to go to a bank officer, get a cash advance from ur CC. This beats getting ripped via ATM which to me is just a matter of time. Better to be safe than sorry, not funny to be without funds in a foreign country because you have to cancel the card immediately.....huge headache.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

i got my atm compromised at the machine near the church at the top of the hill....how's that for a real fraud?

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
726 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

I have heard about problems at many of the ATMs in Pana. I occasiona;lly use the ones in the Despensa and have had no problems. The ones on the parque in Antigua are world-famous for problems as is the one in Krogers in Oak Ridge TN. It happens everywhere.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,793 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

Based on recommendations here, I used the ATM at the Despensa in Pana two weeks ago. No problems on my card so far.

30. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 11, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Panajachel