We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

Victoria, BC Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
224 reviews
Save Topic
There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

We were there in January and asked two different ex-pats about a safe ATM to get money. There have been many problems with having your cards compromised at machines in that town. The ATM at the local grocery store is safe according to the ex-pats. It is inside the door of the Dispensa Familia. That store is about a 10 minute walk from the lake. You need to be ready to enter your information quickly as it does time out super fast but we had no problem getting money.

BC
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

Sorry for your experience. I am not sure why there are experts in Guatemala trying to deny there are problems, when there are so many people reporting serious fraud issues.

After reading about all the bad experiences, I decided to go back to the past, and used traveller's cheques, cashed at a bank or used as payment at my hotels, for my recent month in Guatemala. I just didn't want to have to deal with atm problems. I've had enough problems with credit card fraud within Canada, when the cards have never left our possession. Reimbursement with MC or Visa is never a problem though.

Having a separate bank account for travel isn't very feasible in Canada, as banking charges and fees are extremely high. My traveller's cheques were free.

San Mateo...
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

On Feb 5th someone working at Posada la Merced used my visa card at the Galleria de Arte Genesis and charged $867 three times, no doubt to avoid Capital Bank's security rules. They used the actual card, which was in my suitcase in Merced's storage room on the day and night of Feb 5th only. I can't find any information on the Gallery and figure it's a dummy company.

Capital investigated and credited my account last week.

I'm in the process of writing Merced..

Hope this helps.

colleen

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
176 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

I've lived on the lake for many years and always use the Banco Industrial ATM because you can always go and report a problem directly to the bank next door. This is my recommendation. But after being here on and off for 14 years I have never had a problem anywhere in Guatemala!!

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

This happened just now with us, i dont know where but its the galleria de arte on both transactions.

If you find out more id be happy to know. Sorry that i dont know more.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

We found out that the only place this could have happened was on a resturant in antigua we did eat on, we are really suprised because the staff where so friendly.. :(

BC
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

Colleen, the thieves can manufacture cards if they have your name and number, so it doesn't always mean that they have your actual card.

Happened to my hubby, he used his card one time in Vancouver-Richmond, Canada, just as he was leaving the country to the UK. The well known restaurant chain, must have had an employee photo his card, as he still had the card in his possession as the fraudulent charges were being made.

Really bad to have your card cancelled while you are travelling and need it to pay for things!

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
176 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

My suggestion is to use the ATM connected to the Banco Industrial, half way down Calle Santander. That way if you have any problems, you just go in and talk to the bank. The problem with all the others is that there is no one to talk to. Equally in Despenser there are 2 ATM, stick with the Banco Industrial machine for the same reasons!

Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

I am going through the exact same issue and its a nightmare! Ive had two cards fraudulently used by Galeria DeArte Genesi Sacatepequez. I don't think it was the ATM anymore as I did not use one of my cards there. I'm worried it was the hotel we stayed at. I think an employee there may have taken card details. We stayed at La Merced. Did you stay there?

Lexington, North...
Level Contributor
14 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

We used the ATM in the grocery store with zero issues and felt safe

Sydney
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: There is a safe ATM in Panajachel!!

Been in San Pedro two weeks now and have used both the Banco Indutrial ATM ( near the markets) and the ATM near the Pana Dock (near 'Niks place' bar) several times with no issues. They run out of money about once a week due to high number of gringos getting cash out to pay for Spanish classes, general living etc..but this is a case demand exceeding supply - not frauds/scams. They refill them after a day or so when this occurs. Relax!