We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

private rent a car

Which Panajachel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albuquerque, New...
1 post
Save Topic
private rent a car

Our plan is to rent a car in guat. city then drive to panachael and later to Pac coast for a week long timeshare.... why dont I see many doing this on the blog..

Palos Park
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: private rent a car

Renting a car @ Dollar Rent a Car was a surprise because I HAD to sign a blank credit card slip. I checked with another car rental company and they confirmed that they would ask me to do the same. Everything turned out OK. Just before you take the car off the lot - make tons of pictures, inside, outside, under the car so when returning it if they make a deal out of a dent that "wasn't there" you have the proof it was.

Get an SUV as some roads aren't that great but this is mainly GC problem. In the rest of the country roads are pretty good. We drove through some dirt roads too and that was fun. Rental car will have Guatemala plates so you will blend in. Hotels (posadas) have safe overnight parking.

People are very friendly, very nice and if you ask where and when it is safe and where not. Hike volcanoes, go to flea markets, tip your guide he will help you a lot.

Do carry much cash on you, have a debit card and use an ATM available only in bigger towns usually at a bank. When you are back home - cancel the debit card and get a new with different number ( I think some ATMs are rigged.)

Don't display your stuff on dashboard or seats while away. Always lock the car. You will have very good time.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
59 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: private rent a car

I agree with Kyle and Groucho 100% I have had many trips that would have really only been less than half as exciting if we werent able to pull off the main drag and off road a bit over to check out those ruins or have lunch at this cute little cafe, or.. or..

I have found the cheapest to be Payless so far with $600 for two weeks for an SUV 4x4! Can take the vehicle into El Sal and Honduras, Belize but not Nicaragua (which is really screwing me, really need to be able to drive into Nica ) There is just something to be said about the comfort and securtiy of having your own car!! Your own mucsic, you can even sleep th ere is worst comes to worse.

Cheers!

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: private rent a car

Unless you're planning on driving on some unpaved roads in the jungle you would need a 4X4. I've done just fine driving a Mitsubishi Lancer all over the country. Some radio stations in guatemala play great music in english. This is a good site www.mapasdeguatemala.com

costa rica
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: private rent a car

i highly recommend Servicios turisticoc atitlan, for transport..www.transportatitlan.com melvin is the owner, the shuttles on time..we had 2 private shuttles and 2 shared..i have rented cars there before, and it is so much easier to have someone else drive, especially if you are going to lake atitlan and chichi..private transport in a nice car, room for 4 people was $100 from lake atitlan to guat city...it is peice of mind not having to navigate.

15. Re: private rent a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 14, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Panajachel