We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Panajachel/Atitlan

Which Panajachel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
1 post
Save Topic
Weather in Panajachel/Atitlan

Hi-I'm planning my first trip to Guatemala and expect to spend most of my time in/around the Panajachel/Atitlan area. I realize that this is a tropical climate but I'm definitely NOT a hot-weather person and high humidity just does me in. I've read some about the rainy/dry season and the climate in general but would appreciate input on what to expect, weather-wise. Specifically: when would be the best time to go and what are typical temps/humidity levels like at those times? Thanks for any tips you can share.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Panajachel/Atitlan

Tropical heat/humidity is on the Pacific coast and the east. You'll be fine in Pana. Check average temps here: http://www.panajachel.com/links.htm

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Panajachel/Atitlan

I dont get it! I am not a wimpy person, but I keep reading references to swimming in Lake Atitlan... And yet, the high is in the 70s???? Is the water temp that warm?

Level Contributor
219 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Panajachel/Atitlan

Heres the scoup and i do have a lot to dish about guat in general but the weather although this time of year is reasonably warm you may get some humidity in Pana or Antigua but its ok. Warm days, maybe a lite jacket/fleece at night, no mas.

That said, the real beauty of going here is the views, the backdrop is volcanos. Unfortunately, due to the warming up of the weather and more importantly the ongoing agricultural burning that goes on all day long everyday a haze blocks most of your view and the fact that its the dry season nothing is really green and pretty.

If i were you, i'd scrap the plans and go in Nov/Dec after the rains when the views are perfect. Otherwise, you could be anywhere.

I'd vote for Mexico, Costa Rica or my fave Peru before i would ever reco Guat.

Washington, DC
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Panajachel/Atitlan

Is August a really terrible time to go? Again, I've read about the rainy season, but I'm just not sure how rainy it will be.

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
331 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Panajachel/Atitlan

Please ignore the post before yours as it is terribly inaccurate.

It is the rainy season, but you can see clearly the volcanoes, the weather is still comfortable, no humidity, the lake is delicious for swimming, and you need a rain jacket for when the rains come, although usually after two o'clock and just for a short spell. Everything is so green and lush this time of year, that I disagree again with the previous poster. I would rather loose the volcanoes and see the mountains surrounding the lake green and lush then to see them brown and dried out. I have been here since January, so I have experienced both.

The rains are also wonderful. Once late August hits, you will find the rains more constant throughout Sept and October.

Hope this helps.

6. Re: Weather in Panajachel/Atitlan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, December 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Panajachel