We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Suggestions Guatemala

Philadelphia...
4 posts
Save Topic
Travel Suggestions Guatemala

I will be spending a month in Guatemala/Honduras, and I currently have about a week in the middle of the trip unaccounted for. My jumping off point for that week is Lake Atitlan and I would like to end it in Antigua or Guatemala City. I am planning on visiting Semuc Champey for a couple of days during said week, but I am looking for other suggestions as well. As Semuc is quite a ways away from my start and end point it would be ideal if there were other destinations along the way. If anyone has any advice, please let me know.

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
176 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel Suggestions Guatemala

Wow you are planning a lot in one week?! As Hopefulist mentioned do not try going from Nebaj to Coban and Semuc, This is the rainy season and part of that road is unpaved and even in the dry season was a very long, dusty drive. Totally spectacular, but I was in a private vehicle, not is squashed little shuttle van/chicken bus!!

To visit all these places you would need at least 2 weeks and in the rainy season, well journey times can be a lot longer!

I would suggest the usuals like Atitlan and Antigua, then if you wanted some hiking either Todos Santos, or going up to Nebaj. There is an amazing Italian cheese farm where you can stay at a place called Acul near to Nebaj. However, Nebaj from Pana in Lake Atitlan will involve at least 4 if not 5 childen buses and is probably a 6 hours or so journey along a spectacularly beautiful road, but VERY windy!! There are also a couple of backpacker type places to stay in Nebaj too I believe.

During the rainy season I would personally avoid Coban and Semuc Chamey - save that for a return visit. But do also try and get to Tikal from Antigua!

12. Re: Travel Suggestions Guatemala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 21, 2014