We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Suggestions Guatemala

Philadelphia...
4 posts
Save Topic
Travel Suggestions Guatemala

I will be spending a month in Guatemala/Honduras, and I currently have about a week in the middle of the trip unaccounted for. My jumping off point for that week is Lake Atitlan and I would like to end it in Antigua or Guatemala City. I am planning on visiting Semuc Champey for a couple of days during said week, but I am looking for other suggestions as well. As Semuc is quite a ways away from my start and end point it would be ideal if there were other destinations along the way. If anyone has any advice, please let me know.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Suggestions Guatemala

I love the Ixil Triangle - great hiking and a fascinating cultural history.

Philadelphia...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Suggestions Guatemala

Thanks for the reply! I hadn't come across that area at all in my research. It looks beautiful and definitely has a unique history... When you stayed in the region, did you overnight in each of the three towns (Nebaj, Cotzal and Chajul) or did you stay in Nebaj and do day trips to the others?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Suggestions Guatemala

I lived with a local family and attended Spanish school in Nebaj. I did day hikes to several small villages but not to either Cotzal or Chajul - must return!!

Philadelphia...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Suggestions Guatemala

Oh, cool! Was it easy to arrange home stays and could you attend Spanish school for any length of time (i.e. 1-2 days)?

I am planning on making the Ixil trip now, thanks to your advice, but I have a couple of logistical questions.

From Atitlan, would you suggest getting to Nebaj via Panajachel to Sacapulas and then on to Nebaj? To get to Semuc Champey: Nebaj to Sacapulas to Lanquin? Also, do you have any idea how long to expect the travel to be between these places?

Finally, we will be heading to Copan Ruinas after Semuc. After reading your post about Hedman Alas, we planned on returning to GC and catching the Hedman Alas from there to Copan. Do you think that is our best bet, rather than trying to find a more direct route from Semuc?

Sorry for all of the questions and thank you so much for the help thus far!

-Dave

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Suggestions Guatemala

From Panajachel you go up to Santa Cruz del Quiche via Chichi. In SCQ you should be able to find plenty of transportation all the way to Nebaj on a good paved road. It shouldn't take you more than five hours to get there depending on how long you have to wait for your bus connections. And then from Nebaj you can get to Semuc via Coban. In Coban you can find good hotels and transportation to Semuc. This is site

www.cobanav.net it's a good source of information on the area Good luck

Edited: 9:29 am, June 17, 2013
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Suggestions Guatemala

I think heading back to GC and to Copán from there would be the quickest; probably ~8 hours to GC, then ~6 to Copán the next morning. Frankly, I wouldn't do the route you're considering - Atitlán>Nebaj>Semuc Champey>Copán - unless you can spend at least 3 nights each place, otherwise you'll be spending a lot of very full days in transit. If you only stay 2 nights/place, 1/2 your days will be transition days - bad trip math. Have a good trip, whatever you decide.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Suggestions Guatemala

Re: Spanish school, you could contact them and see. There are lots of good Spanish schools in Guatemala and, though the majority of us attend for at least a week at a time, if they have space available they're flexible. Here's a link to the 1 I attended in Nebaj:

www.nebaj.com

Philadelphia...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Suggestions Guatemala

Thank you both for the help and advice. It is much appreciated. The extended travel times between our chosen destinations is our biggest concern, but we are staying a minimum of 3 nights in each location.

Guatemala City...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Suggestions Guatemala

Yes, i can tell you that you will spend to much time in buses by doing this in 1 week! it really depends on the time of the year you are coming, now we have a lot of rain in that area, so i recommend to take note that reaching places will be more than the normal time because of the rain and fog. Also be aware how you get to the ixil area, take good route buses, since there will be alot of them offering that destination. any help contact us ricardo@mayawt.com or visit http://shopping.mayawt.com/ find more than 50 destinations of Guatemala

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Suggestions Guatemala

I have travelled to Antigua for the past nine years for medical mission trips. One of our group's favorite things to do on our "day off" is the zip line at Finca Filadelphia (it is just outside of Antigua and is called Antigua Canopy Tours). The longest run is about 1700 feet over a canyon. It's worth a trip and takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours start to finish.