We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town/hotel would be best for fam with 2 teen boys?

Houston
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Which town/hotel would be best for fam with 2 teen boys?

I'm planning our upcoming trip to Lake Atitlan. It all looks so amazing I'm having a difficult time deciding where to stay! My husband prefers a little luxe to rustic and then there is the teenage boy(13 & 15) factor.

Which village would offer some "ambiance" that we might enjoy a little stroll in the evening. And which hotel would you then recommend in that area?

Things that are helpful to know about us:

I speak fluent spanish, my husband loves art galleries, my 15-yo wants to be a musician (plays guitar & drums) and my 13yo, is easy to please but probably prefers fancy over rustic.

Ideally, it would be great for all of us to stay in one room around $150-$200. But, we are agreeable to splitting into 2 rooms for the same price point.

Three hotels have hit my radar:

1. Hotel Villa Santa Catarina

2. Porta Hotel del Lago

3. Posada de Santiago

I love the Posada in Santiago, but am worried it might be too isolated and quiet for my men. The other 2 are in Pana ( I think) but don't accomodate 4 ppl in one room. I guess I"d have to get a 2nd room? Any clarification/advice on this lodging predicament would also be appreciated!

We are an active family who will probably spend most of our time exploring but we also love our nap time! :)

Thank you so much in advance for your replies!

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which town/hotel would be best for fam with 2 teen boys?

It looks as though you have done your research. And you already know about the Posado Santiago from a previous visit? They have larger casitas that accommodate a family in one room. This is a bonus for cost and convenience. David, the owner is also a big fan of music and often has musicians in for evening performances. It may be an opportunity for your son to "jam". The hotel is a bit out of town, but tuk-tuk taxis are always available to take you into town at night. I do this often and never have a problem getting a ride.

In Panajachel there are lots of choices, but I personally find the Porta Hotel del Lago to be to big and "corporate" style. They have a huge swimming pool and restaurant and all the "big tour buses" go there with their groups. I guess it is good if you like that type of thing. My preference is for the Posado Don Rodrigo, which feels more authentically Guatemalan. Another couple of options would include Dos Mundos and Rancho Grande. Both more reasonably priced, so you could get two rooms at a better price.

In Pana., you will find good music at the Circus Bar, La Rumba/Palapa Bar, and at Pana Rock.

My last choice would go to the Hotel Villa Santa Catarina. While it is a nice hotel, it is far removed from the action you need to keep your family entertained.

I hope this helps focus your choices.

Houston
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which town/hotel would be best for fam with 2 teen boys?

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure you'll be hearing from us when we arrive! Kayaking right?

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually have not been to the Posada de Santiago, my comment was misleading, I love "the look" of the place from the website! I think that will be the perfect fit for us if they have evening musicians!

We are getting excited for our adventure! Thanks!

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
450 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which town/hotel would be best for fam with 2 teen boys?

Given your circumstances, I'll say Pana is by far your best bet, with day trips to some of the other towns.

Posada de Don Rodrigo is fantastic, as kayak-atitlan says. It's both lakefront and on the main street of Pana. Great views and a really good restaurant...breakfast and a cup of coffee in their outdoor restaurant overlooking the lake and volcanoes is heaven.

You could also try the Hotel Playa Linda, also (quasi-) lakefront, next to the public docks. Very affordable, clean, etc., with nice gardens, hilariously loquacious parrots (one who is clearly imitating someone talking on the phone) and nice rooms on two levels. This way you could get two rooms for the price of one at the Posada de Don Rodrigo. This is our current favorite inexpensive hotel on the lake (great, helpful staff too).

We stayed at the Porta once and won't go back--it's fine, it's clean, and has great views, good staff etc., but it is very sterile and corporate (and expensive). There are just too many other good places in Pana.

4. Re: Which town/hotel would be best for fam with 2 teen boys?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, October 05, 2012