We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Lake Atitlan to Buerto Barrios in 3 days?

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
363 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from Lake Atitlan to Buerto Barrios in 3 days?

Hi again,

How can we (a family of 6) get from Lake Atitlan to Puerto Barrios in 3 days? We have 3 days to explore places in between and to make the trip less tedious. Any suggestions on how we should do this and where we should visit on our journey? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Debbie

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Lake Atitlan to Buerto Barrios in 3 days?

I bet if you walk you can get there in 3 or 5 days. But seriously. Since you're not specifying if you have your own wheels. The best thing you can do in order to travel with confort and without having to wait for a connection in Antigua to guatemala city is to hire a shuttle to GC, b ecause it's probably going to be cheaperand faster. In GC take www.litegua.com they have excellent hourly service on well maintained double decker buses They have their nice and own terminal at 16 calle and 9a ave in zone 1 in GC. The five hour ride is very scenic specially if you can reserve seats #1-6 up on very front which gives you a panoramic view of the country side and the Motagua river that runs in some parts along the road. They also make a lun ch stop at a nice restaurant with good food, coffe and clean restrooms. Beware they're in process of widening the rest of that road to four lanes. And thus you'll might run into some minor delays. The municipal dock in Puerto Barrios is within walking distance from the Litegua terminal through some residential areas. And believe it or not that part of the country has a much lower crime rate and I felt pretty safe walking around the town. Now if you want to explore something in between you can make a stop in Estanzuela, Zacapa and visit the Paleontologic museum. There is a water park in Rio Hondo I think. The Quirigua archeological park suffered damages during the Agatha storm back in May. But I think is now open to visitors. You'll also see lots of fruit stalls along the road selling grapes and canaloupes which grow real nice in that region. For additional information on the rio dulce area go to www.mayaparadise.com and for hotels www.guatemalastory.com Good luck.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
363 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Lake Atitlan to Buerto Barrios in 3 days?

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you think that we could rent a car that would fit the 6 of us ( minivan I guess) and would we be able to do a one way return? I would like to split up the trip with some overnight stays along the way. Any suggestions?

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Lake Atitlan to Buerto Barrios in 3 days?

Kyle2009 has given you some good advice.

Forget renting a car. It was difficult enough for you in North America, renting in Central America will be 10 times more problematic.

If you want flexibility, rent a private van and driver to Antigua, and stop along the way at any place that interests you. Stay in Antigua for one or two nights, then go to Puerto Barrios; again by private van/driver. If you find any interesting places to stop along the way you can just tell the driver what you want to do, and for how long.

It is going to take some time and real research to find places that will interest everyone in a family of 6.

Mentioned in this post
Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Lake Atitlan to Buerto Barrios in 3 days?

Please try to be more specific starting off with how long you're going to be in the country and in the PB area. And where you would need to return the car. Now, the question that comes to mind is, are you also planning on going to Tikal which is going to be about three hours away from there. A visit to Tikal should be the highlight of your trip to guatemala. And there are several overnight safe and confortable deluxe bus lines that you can catch from the rio dulce area. On the other hand, to be honest with you, I don't think there is anything worth an overnight stop from GC to PB. And from Livingston you can hire a launch to take you to visit many interesting sites along the rio dulce. I rent a car every time I visit guatemala and of course thre is nothing complicated about it, except that you're looking for a one way return. And it is also true that a van with driver will give you your own guide. I suggest you use the search tool to find rental car companies in guatemala including good reputable local companies that offer good deals on weekly rates. And e-mail them with all your questions. You may also want to check with your credit car company to see if they give you car collision waiver in guatemala. My Visa does.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
363 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from Lake Atitlan to Buerto Barrios in 3 days?

Thanks again. We are booked to stay 3 nights in Antigua and then 4 nights at Lake Atitlan. We have 3 nights 4 days until we need to be on Ambergis Caye for our week long rental there. I was hoping that we would spend one or two days in and around Izabal. I was just trying to break up a long bus/car trip with the kids.

6. Re: How to get from Lake Atitlan to Buerto Barrios in 3 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:30 am, January 19, 2011