We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation rentals

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation rentals

Hi all,

On vrbo.com there are several guesthouses available in the Atitlan area, most of them in the little lakeside towns rather than in Panajachel. Has anyone ever booked one of these, and what were your experiences?

We are leaving on 8/19 for 9 days in Guate and will probably spend 2-4 days in the Atitlan area. Would be nice to do our own cooking, etc., as restaurant meals get old after a few days ...

The pictures and rates for these places are very attractive, but what more should we know? We have booked through vrbo.com before -- admittedly, in Hawaii, a far more predictable destination -- and have had good to outstanding experiences.

Many of the Atitlan rentals report internet access, which does matter since one can't leave business completely behind [sigh]. In general, throughout the country, when lodgings report internet access, is it for real or just well, maybe? Same goes for cell service.

Thanks,

sw

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation rentals

I stayed in a hotel on Lake Atitlan (Lomas de Tzununa) which was fabulous, so I can't really offer any advice on specific places around the lake. However, there are loads of boats that criss cross the lake, so you'd be able to get around fairly easily I think.

Lake Atitlan was absolutely amazing, I loved it.

Lawrence, KS
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation rentals

We just got back from Guate and rented a small "treehouse" near San Marcos that we found through vrbo. There was also a bigger house on this same property. I would be happy to give you details about either of these if you send me a message.

I think rentals are typically by the week around the lake...

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation rentals

Now, regarding cell phones. If you have an unlocked cell phone all you have to do is buy a SIM card from one of the tree providers for about $8, which comes with some air time. Or you can buy a brand new cell phone for about $20 wich also comes with air time. International calls including calls to the US are about $0.10 a minute. And then you just have to buy additional air time which can purchased just about anywhere including pharmacies.Back in Oct 2007,I bought a SIM card from Movistar and it worked great throughout the country.

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation rentals

I have lived on Lake Atitlan for the past 3 years, and have personal experience with most of the VRBO rentals. I would be happy to give you a "behind the scenes" report on any property you are looking at. I have seen most of the properties and know the owners. They are well maintained and modern for the most part. And compared to Hawaii are going to be a real bargain. Send me a private message and we can visit more. Lee

5. Re: Vacation rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 11, 2010