We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Eve dinner in Guatemala City

New York
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Eve dinner in Guatemala City

Hello,

A friend and I will be landing in Guate on Christmas Eve. We are staying at a hostel that is serving an American Thanksgiving- style dinner. Under no circumstances will my first meal in Central America be Turkey and stuffing so I am interested in some authentic local fare. We are staying in zone 10 but are willing to travel a reasonable distance as long as it is safe. We both speak "intermediate" Spanish and have traveled to developing nations in the past. We are on a budget but I am willing to ignore it for Christmas Eve dinner. On Christmas day we leave to go to the countryside.

Thanks!

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Eve dinner in Guatemala City

I honestly don't know what Guatemalans traditionally eat for their Xmas meal, but FWIW turkey is a native food commonly eaten by many.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Eve dinner in Guatemala City

You'd probably be staying near the zona viva where you could try Casa Chapina, a restaurant that serves authentic guatemalan cuisine. The traditional x-mas meal in guatemala is the tamal chapin which is served at midnight myspace.com/anyulin/…7D and is different than the mexican tamal. But you'd normally have to eat at least two of them to get full.

New York
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Eve dinner in Guatemala City

Thanks for replying regarding the turkey. I know that they eat turkey there but the host specifically stated that this is NOT a Guatemalan meal. It is a Thanksgiving-style feast. Not what I am looking for in Guatemala.

New York
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Eve dinner in Guatemala City

Kyle2009

Thanks so much!!!

5. Re: Christmas Eve dinner in Guatemala City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, December 24, 2012