We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guatemala City to Puerto Angel or Oaxaca by bus?

vicioushillbilly
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Guatemala City to Puerto Angel or Oaxaca by bus?

I am a woman traveling alone in July 2010. I will be staying Xela for 2 weeks going to Spanish school with my son. I will go back to Guatemala City to put him on a plane. Then, I would like to eventually end up in Zipolite or Puerto Angel. Is there a bus line that runs that route? Also, I assume there is a bus from Puerto Angel to Oaxaca?

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guatemala City to Puerto Angel or Oaxaca by bus?

Couple ways.. from conventional buses to touristy types. My preference is via San Cristobal de las Casas. The road from Guat. City to Xela to Huehuetenango is a major highway. Several first class pullmans plus a million chicken buses run it every day. On top of that there are tourist shuttles. I will presume you aren't on a bare bones budget. I recommend the tourist shuttle. It will get you from Guat. City to San Cristobal in one long day. Many start from Antigua but some must go from GC. It runs about double the other services but with the regular buses you really are pinched to do the run in a day. Therefore you might find yourself stuck with a hotel and meal bills... blowing any savings. San Cristobal is well worth spending some time at. Think of it as the most Guatemalan of all Mexican towns. It's a market center for numerous small Indian villages in the area. It's about a 12 hour bus ride to Oaxaca. Oaxaca is my favorite city in Mexico. Great architecture, food and handicrafts, From there there are several options for transport to the coast. None really need any pre-booking earlier than a day in advance. Just take whatever suits your budget or travel style. With the improvement of roads in the region the last few years, service has also improved.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guatemala City to Puerto Angel or Oaxaca by bus?

You may save time by going more directly to Puerto Angel vs going through Oaxaca. However, by following a more coastal route - eg via Tehuantepec - you may have to piece together several different bus segments to pull it off. Unless somebody offers a tourist shuttle from San Cristobal, which is a real possibility.

When I took the ADO bus from Oaxaca to Huatulco, they surprised me by taking a huge swing east, going by Tehuantepec instead of more directly through the mountains like I expected them to. Apparently the mountain road is very slow and wiggly, so be warned. The long way took about 8 hours, which for me is two hours too much.

Definitely leave some time for Oaxaca though. It's a wonderful city like GTBob attests. It has a lot in common with Antigua, but I liked Oaxaca better.

3. Re: Guatemala City to Puerto Angel or Oaxaca by bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 31, 2010