We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving at GUA after dark

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving at GUA after dark

Hi,

I hope that someone here can give me some advice... My husband and I will be flying into La Aurora International airport on a Saturday evening at 8pm. We were originally planning on traveling to Antigua that evening, but I have read repeatedly that it is dangerous to travel after dark in many parts of Guatemala. Would it be safer to stay in Guatemala city that night? (Not that Guatemala city is exactly renowned for safety either!). Can anyone recommend a hotel near to the airport? Or should we just head right for Antigua?

Thank you,

ana

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving at GUA after dark

Hello there, FYI the road to Antigua is a well travelled four lane highway. There should shuttle vans at the airport, if not you should be able to take a cab for about $US25/30. On the other hand you're lucky you're arriving after the rush hour because traffic on that road can be hell.Antigua is only about 45 minutes away. So, you'll be better off spending the night in antigua. There should be other flights arriving at that time with pax going to antigua. So, you should be fine. Good luck.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
678 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving at GUA after dark

I second the post above. In addition, you'll get more bang for your buck with hotels in Antigua than in Guatemala City.

When you get in the taxi in GC, make sure the driver puts your luggage in the car, and closes the trunk while you watch. Also, negotiate a firm price to Antigua before you put your luggage in the trunk.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving at GUA after dark

We faced the same issue and decided to spend the night at the Westin in Guatemala City. The Westin has a shuttle that picks up at the airport every 30 minutes and is only about 5 minutes from the airport. Many other hotels have the same arrangement. The Zona Viva is very close to the airport. The price of the top end hotels in Guatemala City is about the same as the top end hotels in Antigua. We left Guatemala City on Sunday morning about 7:30 a.m. and there was no traffic at all. I don't know about the safety other than what I observed and things seemed relatively secure now.

4. Re: Arriving at GUA after dark

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, September 14, 2009