We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Guatemala City
Search

What time should we return to Guatemala City from Atitlan?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
197 reviews
2,048 helpful votes
What time should we return to Guatemala City from Atitlan?
Save

We will be spending 4 nights in Antigua, 2 nights in Panajachel, and 1 night in Guatemala City. Should we arrange an early departure from Panajachel (9AM?) in order to have the afternoon to explore some of GC? If so, what should we see during that limited amount of time?

Or are we better off staying longer in Panajachel, and just hanging out at our hotel in GC the night before our departure?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
15,329 posts
331 reviews
272 helpful votes
1. Re: What time should we return to Guatemala City from Atitlan?
Save

It's your choice but I would definitely want the extra time on Lake Atitlán. You could spend your 1 full day exploring other villages and your partial day (or days - not sure when you'll arrive from Antigua), hiking in the Pana Reserve, shopping in Panajachel (arguably the best gift and souvenir shopping in the country) or visiting additional area towns and markets.

The historical center of Guatemala is interesting and there are some nice museums, I just don't think I'd prioritize them when your time on the lake is so short. Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

PS If you decide a half-day visit to GC is a priority, I'd give up time in Antigua instead of time on the lake, given your 'extra' time there.

Edited: 12:42 pm, March 07, 2017
London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
197 reviews
2,048 helpful votes
2. Re: What time should we return to Guatemala City from Atitlan?
Save

Okay, I guess we will skip GC then. Thanks (again!) for your advice.

3. Re: What time should we return to Guatemala City from Atitlan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 10, 2018