We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villas Santa Catarinas?

Which Chichicastenango hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
13 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Villas Santa Catarinas?

Anyone can tell me how this hotel faired? It is located in or near Solola, Panachel? Appreciate anyones imput; the tour company is still listing us to go on or about Nov. 1 to the lake there; we were just wondering if they will have to change our itinerary; still looking forward to see awesome Guatemala!

thanks

munizera

Texas

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
911 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villas Santa Catarinas?

Hi munizera

Solola is okay, the road to the town from the main road is open. It's the DISTRICT of Solola that's being mentioned in the reports.

I have no idea whether the hotel you've mentioned is okay....sorry. Panajachel has been hit but coping. The worst hit was Santiago, and the village above it was all but wiped out. San Marcos suffered too. We're in touch with some folks in San Pedro and I'll post the latest news as soon as I get them. Meanwhile.... I've posted a copy of the email we got from San Pedro under 'mudslides and santiago atitlan' posted by 'Vicarina' on the 'Chichecastenango' page.

Good luck

California
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Villas Santa Catarinas?

Hi - We're also scheduled to stay there in early November. Our tour organizer says the hotel and area are fine. Lots of my friends in Guate says it's slow-going to get there since roads are being repaired, relief effort going thru etc so leave early if you're on any kind of schedule.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
13 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villas Santa Catarinas?

Greetings to all; we just got back from Guatemala and stayed at the Villas Santa Catarina Polopo and it was open and what a great view. We could not get there by road from Panajachel so they ferried us over by boat; much better in my view! The Guatemalans have worked hard to open the roads adn only a few bridges remain troublesome. We had to depart our big bus in Solola and take shuttle vans down to Panajachel and at one point we got out and walked over a bridge they were repairing, so as not to stress the repairs, a little adventure but hey overall what a GREAT PLACE!

(I'm not sure I want to tell everyone how marvellous it is 'cause I 'd like to keep it a secret!!)

Anyway, the Villas suffered a loss of their gardens and they had mud in their pool but we would never know it 3 weeks later until a staffer told us about it! Santiago ATitlan we accessed by boat so I don't know about the roads, I can tell you the town is open and thriving commercially. We saw tons of areas where there were mudslides; they must have affected the roads but as I said all the major roads we travelled were open.

Guatemala is Great!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villas Santa Catarinas?

Tell me about your experience with CARAVAN. Was it a smooth, well organized trip.,how about the bus..the usual arguments about seating.,was luggage handling including.,how about no smoking rooms? Was the food OK or did you have problems with the quality (uncooked.,old.,cold entrees), I am going in Feb. but cannot get a good handle on CARAVAN Hope you can help with a review of the trip.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
13 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villas Santa Catarinas?

Caravan tours in Guatemala was one of the best guided trips I've ever taken. Their guide Virginia Fuentes took every opportunity to spoil all of us 43 guests. The food overall was very good, with choices at every meal between chicken/fish, meat or vegetarian. No one became ill. Accomodations were very comfortable, but you can read my opinions online for their hotels here at Tripadvisor. We only had one issue with the size of a room and we were satisfied immediately. I would not hesitate to sign up again for their tours in fact I'm planning to use them again for a Mexico tour. The one downside was a long ride between Tikal and Antigua,but we were told they were considering flying between the two in the future trips. The bus driver was skilled and gave us a great ride on their huge Mercedes bus; I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the trip because Guatemala has a bad rep. We never felt deprived when we needed banks, internet,good bathrooms, etc,; invariably there are always one or two stops that are stinkers, but most of them were comparable to home. We learned so much history and current culture that I came away with a good feel for the country and history of the Mayans. We had just enough balance between sightseeing and shopping and there were some people who got to book sideline trips to see alternate things if they wanted to. If you get Ms Fuentes as a guide you will be well taken care of. I hope this helps you make your choice; don't miss Guatemala!