We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a Car

New York, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a Car

I am planning to travel to Guatemala in April with a friend. We were planning on renting a car in Guatemala City and traveling to Antigua, Lake Atitlan, Chi Chi and other towns in the highlands. I am somewhat concerned, however, about safety issues and have read that there have been quite a bit of car-jackings and robberies on the roads in Guatemala. Could somebody please advise me if it is safe to rent a car or if we are better off traveling by bus or shuttle? I would rather avoid the inconvenience of taking a bus, but safety is my first concern.

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Guatemala City
Guatemala City
Guatemala Department, Guatemala
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
Lake Atitlan
Lake Atitlan
655 Reviews
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Guatemala
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a Car

Hi

Anywhere in the world you may face the security issues. I'm from India and I do live here in Guatemala for 3 years and in my concern it's all about your luck. I would suggest you please not get panic on news or news papers you are watching but I would guarantee you it's very economical to rend one 4X4 vehicle so that you can climb all the EVEREST on the way. (usually nobody robs the car). The more I would like to tell you with my experience that this country is gifted with lots of marvellous places so you and your family are going to enjoy the trip to Guatemala. You will like the people, the place, the weather (the weather is so superb) and the food. I would suggest you to visit Guatemala as much as you can and telling you the truth security is not that much bad like you do live in Miami or Washington.

Best Regards

Sasikumar

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a Car

Hello there: I don't where you've been getting your information, but I can tell you that, I read four guatemalan newspapers on line every day and I mean seven days a week. And as far as I know carjackings is not the type of crime that happens in guatemala with certain degree of frequency. In fact I'll be in guatemala next month and I am planning on getting a rental car. One thing I can tell for sure is that chicken buses have a high accident fatality rate. There's also been a lot of robberies on this type of buses. This normally happens when they stop on the road to pick up passengers who in some cases happened to be armed robbers. So unless you use deluxe bus or shuttle service which is available at very reasonable rates, you'll be better off driving a rental car. For instance salvadorean tourists where being targeted on the road to and from El Salvador and the problem was solved after the tourism commision in cooperation with the national police increased the vigilance along the road as they didn't want to lose all that revenue. Keep in mind that since holly week normally falls in april, it gets kind of hard to book late reservations for that month. Have a nice trip.

Mentioned in this post
El Salvador
El Salvador
Central America
3. Re: Renting a Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 21, 2009