We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helping the poor

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
573 posts
209 reviews
Save Topic
Helping the poor

I usually try and bring things for the poor when i visit a third world country and was wondering if anyone has any idea on who i can contact ect... or websites ...

I will be in a few different places while in Guatemala

Guatemala City

Chichicastenango, Lake Atitlán

Petenchel, Guatemala

Tikal, Antigua

so if anyone has any ideas let me know thanks

USA
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Helping the poor

I would say, "Gringo(a) go home!"

Here we have it folks, another do-gooder coming to the "3rd World" to "get jiggy" with the people. Maybe you can pick up a child to adopt a la Angelina Jolie or Madonna.

How 'bout just visiting the place to take in the cultural and historic sites, instead of feeding the ego of self-satisfaction that says, "I did something good and noble while I was there <look at me>."

"Touristic Altruism" is such a farce!

M8

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Helping the poor

My goodness Martinis, what is that about? I am blessed to be the mother of a beautiful little girl who was born in Guatemala. When she was first introduced to us she was in clothes that were donated by tourists who visited Guatemala while on vacation. Her foster mother was so appreciative of the donations made as were we. As for adopting a child from a foreign country or even domestically, very few people do it to "make a difference in the world" or to "rescue a child", they adopt because THEY want to parent a child. The child fulfills a very real need in the parents. It just so happens that the child is likewise provided a benefit.

I find that most people who provide donations when visiting foreign countries are generally providing similar if not more donations at home. It is a worthy and noble thing to give back to others. Moms

13. Re: Helping the poor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:23 am, August 24, 2009