We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish school - Guatemala or Panama?

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
29 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Spanish school - Guatemala or Panama?

Hi people,

can someone help me? I wanna study spanish for about 4 months.

Planning Guatemala or Panama, plus Lima and Uruguay.

Lima and Uruguay is the second part, but i am deciding about Guatemala or Panama. My point is, i need a place at the sea, near a beach. As i have a bit of skin problem (psoriasis), i need the sun and the salt water..:)

Panama:

My idea was Bocas del Toro - there is a school www.hablayapanama.com, whch has i think the best reviews. The place s about 15min by bike from the beach. So its ok for me.

Just as Panama is a higher standart, its 400usd a week including spanish group class (20hours) and host family stay with 2 meals.

Bocas ive heard has beautiful beaches, i really like that..:)

The school does a lot of activities - surfing, boat trips, snorkeling all over..

And the contact with the school is great, always answering everything i need. very helpful.

Guatemala:

Here i found a school which is direct at the best beach in Guatemala (at least read about it so). The school: monterrico-guatemala.com/spanish-school.php looks fine to me.

Here the cost is 170usd including spanish 1to1 course (20hours) and accommodation with 3 meals a day.

The beaches are not the nicest - as its volcanic so it black, but there are nice as its Monterrico.

The price is sensational.. I am looking for the price, but Monterrico is really small, i am afraid, if i stay here 4 or 6 weeks i will get bored. And about 1to1 course, i had always group lessons, afraid of it, if its not getting bored after a time too..:(

At this school i didnt find really a lot of reviews, the contact of the school is ok.

Could you guys recommend what would be the best?

What are the pluses/minuses for Guatemala? Panama?

I was thinking too about Costa Rica, but my friend told me, she didnt really like it.. So dont know about it..

I mean Panama is more safe right, but as i read a lot, i think its ok about the safety.

Thanks a lot for your advices.

Michael from Prague

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish school - Guatemala or Panama?

Ordinarily I would recommend Guatemala over anyplace but I prefer to study in the highlands and that is where the majority of schools are. I don't care for Monterrico but don't know the school so can't speak to that directly. You could consider La Ceiba, Honduras or the Bay Islands; the Central American Spanish School - www.ca-spanish.com - is good with bases in LC and on Utila and Roatan.

I wouldn't commit to 4 months anywhere, especially a really hot place (like any beach in CA), without checking it out. ¡Buena suerte!

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish school - Guatemala or Panama?

IMO gutemala should be your best choice if you can go to school at lake atitlan. Sunny and warm days enjoying hiking volcanoes and many other activities around the lake should make your stay enjoyable and more affordable than any other place in latin america. Monterrico on the pacific is hot like hell to the point that you can't even walk on the beach when the sun is shining because the black sand has a high content of iron. But the atlantic side is real nice and you can study spanish there too. Check it out www.riodulcechisme.com

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish school - Guatemala or Panama?

I can't imagine spending that much time in Monterrico. If you're determined to combine beach and school, I'd recommend going with the Panama option, or checking out the possibilities in Costa Rica.

4. Re: Spanish school - Guatemala or Panama?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, June 26, 2015