We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather query

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
weather query

Hi! just wondering what people can tell me about the weather in june in guatemala. Still sunny in rainy seasom? Will it disrupt any travel plans in terms of rains etc? Would love to know of previous experiences there from anyone who can tell me, been wanting to go for so long! Also travelling with one other girl ao in terms of safety would be glad to hear of any places to steer clear of/tips etc. Many thanks!

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather query

During the rainy season you can expect afternoon showers but not to the point to stop you from moving around the country. But the heavy downpours can happen down in the lowlands which I did experienced while driving to the point that it was so hard to see anything in front of you. But I was on a four lane highway coming back from Monterrico and I had to pull over at the nearest town, Escuintla, and enjoy a cup of coffee at McDonalds. But believe it or not all over the country you can expect sunny and warm days. This is a good source of information on guatemala www.passplanet.com/guatemala

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,837 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather query

We usually visit for 4-6 weeks during the summer months. In the highlands the mornings are usually gorgeous. Sometimes we'll go weeks without rain and sometimes it will rain day after day beginning mid to late afternoon or evening - varies from year to year.

Since safety questions come up a lot I'm reposting my response from a previous thread below. Obviously not everyone agrees with this list - some prefer cities and travel to party, for example - but it helps me feel safe when I travel and that's a good thing. Happy trails!

I travel in Central America every year. Sometimes I travel alone, sometimes with one or more of my kids and/or my husband, sometimes with a group in tow. I don't feel overly paranoid but have never had a problem and would like to keep it that way.

Here are my concessions to safety when I travel in Central America:

:: I avoid the big cities as much as possible

:: I don't "party"

:: Where recommended I take specific transportation (ex: Hedman Alas in Honduras, avoid chicken buses on the mountain runs in Guatemala, take taxis after dark)

:: I know where I am and where I'm headed and make major transitions with plenty of daylight left

:: I don't wear jewelry (not even my wedding band) and try not to flash camera equipment or money around

:: Some trips I carry a “throw down wallet” with an expired card or 2 and the day’s cash in it

:: I keep important documents and cash under my clothes (except what I need for shopping, buses, etc. for that time period) and keep close watch on my things, especially in crowded places and when I’m tired

:: I ask locals about safety in an area - evenings, hiking, etc.

:: I travel really light so I don't feel vulnerable getting my bag off and on buses, shuttles, etc.

:: I continue to build skills in Spanish

3. Re: weather query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 24, 2015