We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Guatemala

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
10 days in Guatemala

After much deliberation, I pulled the trigger and bought two tickets to GUA. My wife and I will be going there for ten days (honeymoon trip) and we leave in six days (5/25). Any suggestions? One thing that my wife has requested is a spa. We are in our mid 30s, athletic and equally comfortable with a night at The Four Seasons as a night in a hamock with a mosquito net. Here is what I was thinking.....

Day 1: Arrive at GUA in the afternoon and head straight to Antigua - tiki-tour around town, not sure where we will stay

Day 2: Spend the majority of the day in Antigua, then head back down to GUA and fly up to Flores that night -

Day 3 & 4: Tikal & Flores, then take overnight bus down to Rio Dulce (is it safe to take an overnight bus?)

Day 5 & 6: Rio Dulce, Livingston (thinking of staying at Casa Perico) etc then head to Lake Atitlan

Day 7, 8: Lake Atitlan thinking of staying at Casa Del Mundo

Day 9 & 10: back to Antiqua - maybe hike a volcano

Thank you for any ideas and input.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Guatemala

Your gonna have the best time... congrats!!!!

Highly recommend climbing volcano Pacaya.. is an active volcano and you climb a nearby hill to see its activity... a must see.

Your visiting the best spots... you should be fine with the overnight bus to Rio Dulce... i think its like a 4 hr trip from Tikal... maybe alittle less..

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
686 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Guatemala

In Antigua, you might like Casa Madeleine Bed & Breakfast Spa - see the reviews on TA. My husband and I loved it!

At Lake Atitlan, you could also consider Villa Sumaya, a charming guesthouse near Santa Cruz La Laguna. It's quite small, I think they have only 8 rooms, so it feels quite intimate. They also have a sauna, outdoor hot tubs and various treatments, such as massages and reiki, are available upon request. Their restaurant is also very good.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
678 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in Guatemala

Antigua is nice but an anomaly: it is full of tourists and, in a way, not that Guatemalan. You should stop in Chichicastenango and stay overnight either Wed. or Sat. Market days are on Thurs. and Sun. Stay at the Santo Tomas Inn and request a room overlooking the back end of the hotel. Hotel is a little touristy (marimba band plays in courtyard on market days), but rooms are exquisite and each has its own fireplace, which they will start for you with pinewood that smells great. Hotel also has swimming pool (haven't tried it) and restaurant that serves okay food. Chichi is small and Santo Tomas Inn is one block from market.

Also spend a night in Guatemala City. Downtown is ugly (I know, I lived in it for eight years in the 1980s), but zone 10 is beautiful. Just watch your belongings. Go to Ixchel Museum to see beautiful textiles.

Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in Guatemala

Overnight bus should not be a problem at all--just make sure you're taking the private bus and not public ones. There's tons of info for them in and around Tikal and Flores.

Also, a great way to get around all of the villages surrounding Lake Atitlan is to just travel by pick-up, the way the locals do. You just get on and get off whenever you want and it's the best way to visit all of the little, not so touristy towns.

I hiked a volcano outside of Xela, but was told that volcanos near Antigua were better, so definitely do that. Also make sure to check out the market at Chichicastenango--it's incredible.

5. Re: 10 days in Guatemala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, August 14, 2009