We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in Guatemala - Itinerary

Jerusalem, Israel
3 posts
Save Topic
3 weeks in Guatemala - Itinerary

Hi everybody! I will be traveling for 3 weeks in Guatemala and need some tips on getting around..so:

I will be around Lake Atitlan and have planned to head out to Lanquin, Semuc Champy. Only problem is that I understand that it is quite a trip (8 hours??) to get there. so,

1. would it be better to stop along the way for a night or two? if so, do you have any suggestions?

2.Perhaps a re-route/detour would be better before getting to Lanquin?

3.What would be the best way to travel from Lake Atitlan to Lanquin? (In terms of transportation).

Thanks for the help!

Edan

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in Guatemala - Itinerary

All depends how adventurous and young you are. Because you could get there backtracking to guatemala city. And from here it's five hours to Coban where you could spend the night at good hotels with very reasonable rates. Or from the lake area you could take the route via Chichicastenango to Nebaj/Coban which is a very scenic route. But you would have to take several buses. And more than likely you would have to spend the night in Coban also. Go to www.cobanav.net for all kinds of information and an area map.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in Guatemala - Itinerary

Unless you speak Spanish and are comfortable with CA travel, I wouldn't recommend the Chichi to Nebaj to Coban route. It's 2.5-3 hours from Panajachel to Antigua and you can catch shuttles from there to Lanquin. Happy trails!

Jerusalem, Israel
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks in Guatemala - Itinerary

Yeah I figured that would be easier to head to Antigua...

Thank you!

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks in Guatemala - Itinerary

Long haul from Atitlan/Guate City overland to Alta Verapaz no matter how you go, so why rush it -- break it up and enjoy all the great stops along the way.

Much shorter if you fly of course. Charter flights are spendy., but flying is quite scenic in Guate.

5. Re: 3 weeks in Guatemala - Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, January 06, 2014