We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 full days in Guatemala with wife and our 2 teens

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
32 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
7 full days in Guatemala with wife and our 2 teens

Hi - I have just booked flight tickets in and out of Guatemala City from Chicago for Dec 22 - Dec 30. Gives me 7 full days, and yes, I know this is not enough!

As a family, we simply love nature hikes, wildlife and Mayan history.

How should I plan these 7 days? In what order?

I am assuming Antigua, Tikal and Atitlan will keep me busy. Any specific guidance on what is unmissable? I am also considering that 1/2 day volcano hike.

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 full days in Guatemala with wife and our 2 teens

You are on the right track with the top three destinations you mention. I recommend the flight from G.C. to Flores vs. the bus. This saves much needed time on your trip. Plan on this segment to Tikal as you arrive in Guatemala or at the end of your trip to maximize your time.

One or even two days in Antigua are good if you prefer nature hikes, etc. The Pacaya volcano hike is very cool and worth doing.

Happy Planning.

Chicago
Level Contributor
32 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 full days in Guatemala with wife and our 2 teens

Thanks much - how do you suggest I plan the trip - that extra day in Atitlan or Antigua ? Seems like a squeeze already! Any suggestions on the flow below and the major spots within each location ? Greatly appreciated

Day 0 (Travel day - land in GC (8:30PM) - road to Antigua). (Night)

Day 1 - Antigua (Night)

Day 2 - Antigua (Night)

Day 3 - AM - Drive from Antigua to Atitlan (Night)

Day 4 - Atitlan (Night)

Day 5 - PM - Atitlan to GC (Night in GC)

Day 6 - GC -> Flores, Tikal (Afternoon & Night)

Day 7 - Tikal -> Flores -> GC (Night)

Day 8 - GC -> Chicago

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 full days in Guatemala with wife and our 2 teens

Your itinerary looks about right to me. I would leave it just like it is.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 full days in Guatemala with wife and our 2 teens

Hi there....I'd do it the other way around because from experience I can tell you, you don't want to take any chances trying to get to GC on the day prior to your return flight. That way you could make better use of your time because it would save you from having to backtrack to GC. On your arrival day take an overnight comfortable bus from GC to Santa Elena/Flores on any of the three bus lines www.grupofuentedelnorte.com www.adnautobusesdelnorte.com or www.lineadorada.info It's true its an eight hour ride but by the time you wake up you'll be in Flores. Now arriving at 8:30 PM you could catch the last bus but you'll be cutting too close. You could have the cabbie call the bus lines on his cell phone to see if they can wait 5/10minutes for you because clearing inmigrations and customs is real quick. Otherwise You could spend the night downtown in GC and ctch an early morning flight. But you need to disregard all the horror stories from scare-mongers like the US State Department Travel Advisory and stay at one of my favorite hotels there enjoying nice restaurants. The area is perfectly safe during the day but is has had a tremendous turn around for the better with a large police presence and now you can walk around at night also. My favorite Hotel is Hotel Sevilla with private bath and cable TV but I've also read good reviews from Hotel Spring. Then in that case catch an overnight bus for your return to GC and thus save yourself a ton of money.

Edited: 12:55 pm, July 03, 2012
5. Re: 7 full days in Guatemala with wife and our 2 teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, July 05, 2013