We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in July in Quetzaltenango / Xela ?

South Florida...
Level Contributor
424 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
weather in July in Quetzaltenango / Xela ?

Does anyone know the weather in July in Quetzaltenango? According to all the data I've seen, it is supposed to be rainy and cloudy, with 20 days of cloud out of an entire month; storms every day.

Yet all the data says that the averge rainfall is 2 inches (or less) per month, which works out to a wee pittance of precipitation every day, and certainly not enough to keep the city overcast.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,519 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in July in Quetzaltenango / Xela ?

According to this and other sources I've seen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzaltenango

the rainfall will be more like 6 or 7 inches in July, night temps down into the high 40s, day temps up into the low 70s. The mornings will probably be gorgeous but it's likely to rain often beginning mid afternoon or evening. Happy trails!

South Florida...
Level Contributor
424 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in July in Quetzaltenango / Xela ?

Hi again, stranger (not)! We've communicated in the past about my daughter's non-profit organization bringing art supplies to Lake Atitlan.

Anyway, now she's 19 and a college student and taking finals this week, hence my reason for posting. She asked if I would do a bit of preliminary research on a good place for the month of July.

She's looking for a new (for her) place to visit by herself, so it has to be reasonably safe. She will need internet access (she's doing a US college class online) but she wants to spend her free time just relaxing, enjoying nature (walks), listening to music and perfecting her dance moves, as she is a part-time professional "ethnic" dancer of world dances. Also, she wants to take day trips to the surrounding areas. In addition, she would like to do some volunteer work and possibly a homestay to feel more a part of the local culture. No Spanish lessons, as she speaks it quite well.

I was thinking of either Copan Ruinas or Xela, or both. She's already been to Oaxaca, Guanajuato, San Cristobal, Antigua, Atitlan, Grenada, Leon, Costa Rica, and parts of Panama and Belize, as well as Peru, the Andes and the Amazon....I'm running low on ideas, and she's on a strict budget. I know she would like the Bay Islands but we live in Florida so that's kind of redundant....and steamy.

A major concern is the weather; I hate to have her go off for a month and spend her hard-earned $$$ just to be shut inside during non-stop downpours (think: Panama jungle].

If you have any ideas whatsoever, please advise!!!. Thanks a bunch.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,519 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in July in Quetzaltenango / Xela ?

I think Copán Ruinas would fill the bill. I've studied at the Ixbalanque Spanish school several times. I understand she doesn't feel a need to study Spanish but it might not hurt for her to hook up with them for a week. They have some excellent host families she might be able to continue with after she stops with lessons and they're hooked up with volunteer options and day trip ideas around the area.

www.ixbalanque.com

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,519 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in July in Quetzaltenango / Xela ?

Re: Xela - not my favorite place in CA by a long shot, though it has its fans. The surrounding mountains are beautiful but I haven't felt as comfortable there; I'm not much of a city person and it's the 2nd biggest city in Guatemala, population ~250,000. Just my 2 quetzales' worth...

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in July in Quetzaltenango / Xela ?

I can tell you from experience that they rainy season May - Oct) is pretty much the same all over central america. I was stationed in the old canal zone in Panama back (1973-1977) and drove once to gutemala to visit my wife's relatives and you can expect afternoon showers just about every day. But not not to the point that would stop you from being able to go anywhere.

So, you should expect the same kind of weather in Copan just like any where in guatemala. In guatemala I've experience heavy downpours in the lowland areas. Xela offers lots of opportunities to explore interesting nearby villages and volcanoes all doable on a day's trip. I suggest you check out the www.xelapages.com and ask Tom the administrator for an opinion about the area.

6. Re: weather in July in Quetzaltenango / Xela ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:42 am, June 21, 2013