We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We were robbed on Indian Nose

chicago
Level Contributor
318 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
We were robbed on Indian Nose

My husband and I went to Indian Nose with a local guide from San JuAn La Laguna and were robbed on our way back by 3 masked men with machetes. It happened just below turnoff to Santa Clara (we were going towards San Juan) and the robbers fled towards Santa Clara. Fortunately nobody was injured. We were probably targeted because we had too much stuff: 2 backpacks, cameras, binoculars, rain gear, and due to our stupidity half of our cash (it was beginning of the trip, so quite aa lot) and credit/debit card. They also took our guide's cell phone so he couldn't communicate. We went to Santa Clara to fill police report (policemen were laughing we had so much money and stuff) but of course nobody will be caught. We felt safe with local guide, but turns out it' safe only from o e village side -- there is clear tension between villages. We believe our guide (from local guide organization recommended in guide books and by our hotel) did not have a part in the robbery, but someone had to give a tip to the robbers -- probably 2 guys from Santa Clara at the top of the mountain guarding benches and mirador that cost a few qeuetzales and our guide told us not to use. Or maybe someone passing between 2 villages -- it is a regular trail for locals. Police told us there was another robbery that day in San Pablo. Lake Atitlan is beautiful, but if you want to hike, leave everything in your hotel. At least we did not have passports with us. Half of our trip was very tense aftr that, I was especially afraid of going to Tical, but fortunately nothing happened there.

Mentioned in this post
Indian Nose
Indian Nose
181 Reviews
San Pedro La Laguna, Guatemala
San Juan la Laguna
San Juan la Laguna
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Lake Atitlan
Lake Atitlan
664 Reviews
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
chicago
Level Contributor
318 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We were robbed on Indian Nose

I forgot to say it happened on November 13, I'm writing just after we returned home.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,368 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We were robbed on Indian Nose

I'm sorry to hear that - hope the rest of your trip was awesome (would love to hear about that part, too).

NYC
Level Contributor
639 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We were robbed on Indian Nose

Thanks for the heads up ..... that really sucks. I saw your other volcano trip was cancelled at last minute .... that sucks too ...... hope the rest of the trip made up for it.

I'm heading there in couple of weeks .... fingers crossed!

chicago
Level Contributor
318 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We were robbed on Indian Nose

Yes, it was the most difficult of our trips, but we enjoyed Pacaya and especially all Maya ruins that are much better than overly touristy ones in Mexico. And Belize was great too.

Mentioned in this post
Maya Beach Hotel
Maya Beach Hotel
719 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Belize
Belize
Central America
Memphis, Tennessee
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: We were robbed on Indian Nose

While in the highlands, did you happen to see any Banyan trees? I was especially looking forward to seeing some while in Guate City and Antigua two weeks ago, but we didn't see a one. I wonder if they won't grow in the highlands?

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
6. Re: We were robbed on Indian Nose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 19, 2013