We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay near TIkal?

new york
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay near TIkal?

I thought everyone stayed in Flores but I've been reading about staying in El Remante as a better option? SInce the main focus is to visit Tikal, which place is closer and offers easier/more frequent transportation? Also, any recommendations on budget hotels/hostels in the area? Thanks everyone!

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
103 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay near TIkal?

First, do you have a guidebook? A lot of the questions you're asking would be answered if you did.

El Remate is an hour closer to Tikal. As I mentioned in my other post, I prefer it to Flores because Flores is a city, while El Remate is a small human outpost surrounded by Nature. I stayed at the Hotel Sun Breeze, paid $10. Gorgeous sunset views over the lake from the rooms down below (off the road).

All hotels in either Flores or El Remate arrange Tikal transport. Be very careful of "coyotes" who sell you transport or trips at inflated prices; they're everywhere in the Flores/Tikal area.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay near TIkal?

For hotel information in Flores visit www.corpetur.com or www.santanapeten.com

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay near TIkal?

None of the hotels in the park are budget ones because of location but I highly recommend at least a night in one of them; my favorite is the Tikal Inn: www.tikalinn.com I love being right there, having a place to rest or swim during the heat of mid day. Happy trails!

new york
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay near TIkal?

Thanks everyone! Haven't been able to get to the library or book store yet but planning to now that I have all these questions. It's a sort of last minute, although it's a month, trip. Thanks again!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay near TIkal?

I like both the Rough Guide and the Moon Handbook for Guatemala. My photo collections with blog, travelogue, and review links, are below. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections/

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay near TIkal?

I agree with Raymundo about the pluses of El Remate. It's a nice little town. Not a whole lot to do right there, though Cahui is a short walk. I stayed at Casa de Don David. They arrange Tikal visits and other excursions.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay near TIkal?

Nothing beats staying inside the park. If that's an option, take it. The places aren't cheap, but not outrageously expensive either (for around $120 or so you get a private poolside bungalow at the Tikal Inn).

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay near TIkal?

If that's the current price it's gone WAY up since I stayed there. In the past it's been more like $75/double including dinner and breakfast.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay near TIkal?

It might depend on time of year--we went in February (high season) in 2010. The rate was actually $138 for breakfast, dinner, with taxes included. it was about $30 cheaper to stay in a regular room as opposed to the poolside bungalow.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay near TIkal?

I've only stayed poolside but it's always been during the summer months which is low season, plus in 2009 I had a group in tow so that probably affected the rates. That's still a huge difference, though - yikes!