We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GuatemalaRentaCar - Illegal Thieves at Guatemala Renta Autos

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Topic
GuatemalaRentaCar - Illegal Thieves at Guatemala Renta Autos

Hi,

Some help required to spread the word about a rental company who have illegally taken money from my credit card account.

I rented a car in Antigua from a man called David Gomez from Renta Autos de Guatemala - 4ta Av. Norte No 6.

I had the car for 4 days and on return agreed that there was no damage and got my receipts back. Incredibly I checked my credit card bill and have seen that they've taken additional money from my account. They are claiming there were scratches on the car (that somehow they could see after it was cleaned - it was clean when I gave it back and I don't wear glasses!)

They are thieves and should be avoided at all costs - Please do not book with them as they could do the same thing to you. My credit card company will hopefully refund my money.

Any idea how I can shame their name, my blood is boiling as I type this. I love Guatemala but this must be stopped.

Many thanks,

Tarik

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GuatemalaRentaCar - Illegal Thieves at Guatemala Renta Autos

Thanks for sharing. I will add their name to my files.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GuatemalaRentaCar - Illegal Thieves at Guatemala Renta Autos

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I went through the same hassle many years ago when I was in the service and had to travel to Panama and rent a car. Now, I hope that by now you have contacted your credit car company to dispute those charges. I've done it successfully many times after being able to prove it with the proper documentation.In Puerto Rico at the airport, I was forced to pay for some additional fees. And I had no choice but to pay, because they threatened to charge me for an extra day or days because they refuse the car. Fortunately I had made the car reservation on line and the fees in question were not part of the original contract. On the other hand if you're still in guatemala try to call the Diaco office, if not, you can file a complaint on line diaco.gob.gt/quejas/AdminQuejas/quejas.php

DIACO (Direccion de Atencion y Asistencia al Consumidor) under the ministry of the economy is the government entity responsible for overseeing that the rights of the consumers are respected. On their web page there is a list of companies that have been sanctioned for violations to the law. Unfortunately as I understand they don't have an office in Antigua which doesn't make any sense. But they argue that, that's due to budgetary constrains. As I said your case is very common when renting a car in those countries. And that's why I'm always extra careful making sure every little scratch is shown in the papers when I pick up a car. But at this point your best recourse would be your credit card company. Good luck.

3. Re: GuatemalaRentaCar - Illegal Thieves at Guatemala Renta Autos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, October 21, 2012