We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to travel to Guatemala?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
82 posts
87 reviews
71 helpful votes
Best time to travel to Guatemala?

I have gone to Guatemala several times but I was wondering what other fellow travelers think- When would be the optimum time to go to Guatemala. In regards to things to do- festivities etc- money expenses and all other logistical things one needs to consider when one travels. Also, would there be a part of Guatemala that one must see at a certain time?

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Best time to travel to Guatemala?

Easter week in Antigua is a not to be missed event. But you aren't going to do that this year. For that you start to reserve hotels a year in advance. Also, Easter week throws off a lot of other activities. Prices are also much higher then. Weather wise summer is the wettest. But with so many paved roads it is not the hassle it once was. It is also the off season. Not a huge difference in prices but certain reservations are easier to get. The only other time when advanced reservations are needed in Antigua is between Christmas and New Years. Drier then but also a bit colder at night. Over all there isn't a time not to go.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,366 posts
43 reviews
25 helpful votes
2. Re: Best time to travel to Guatemala?

Summer is the wettest, but it's also the greenest. Things can get very dusty by March or April. I've been there at all times of the year. I prefer July and August, even if it means dealing with some showers for a little while on some days.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Best time to travel to Guatemala?

Good info--I am going for a month in July 2010.

Thanks,

Mark

4. Re: Best time to travel to Guatemala?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 26, 2010