We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair accessibility in Guatemala and Belize

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boise ID
3 posts
Save Topic
Wheelchair accessibility in Guatemala and Belize

I have been invited by a friend to visit Guatemala and Belize. I am pretty sure I'd like to go, but I can't find any information about wheelchair accessibility. I've been in the chair for more than 20 years, so I can get around pretty well (I'm paraplegic).

I've done France, Italy and Spain, as well as Mexico, each of which was challenging but do-able. Does anyone have an idea if it would be a real hassle to get around, as in, is it better or worse than the places I listed? I'm talking about street conditions, whether the average doorway is narrow, the prevalence of steps or stairs.. anything that might clue me in to what I should be prepared for.

I don't know what cities we're visiting, but I sure hope some Mayan sites are on the list. =)

Boise ID
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheelchair accessibility in Guatemala and Belize

Hi, it's me again. I just wanted to say that to reply to my inquiry, you don't have to be in a wheelchair. I'm trying to get a feel for the terrain, and any input will be greatly appreciated. Please, anyone, let me know what it's like there. Thanks in advance.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheelchair accessibility in Guatemala and Belize

Hi there: I would like to be of service to you but of course I dont' want to give you the wrong information. I am sure getting around outside the hotel on the streets by yourself might a problem. As you can imagine the side walks in Guatemala are not ready for wheelchairs. But on the other hand, you've been to Mexico, I think you should do OK in Guatemala. I also think that in terms of places to visit, you shouldn't find any problems with steps or stairs or doors being too narrow. Hotels are equipped with elevators. I am sure some body else is going to provide you with more accurate information. Good luck

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
911 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheelchair accessibility in Guatemala and Belize

Hi dasthu

Check out this website:

www.disabilityonline.com/categories/ travel_and_tourism/general_information/

I'm not sure just how much information they've got but it maybe worth a try....

Incidently, we were in Guatemala earlier this year in San Pedro la Laguna, Lake Atitlan. San Pedro is a village right on the lakeside and built up the side of a mountain. We met a guy there named Todd who is a wheelchair user and he was living there and running a bar......

Good luck and enjoy your trip - it's a fascinating country and very beautiful.

Boise ID
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheelchair accessibility in Guatemala and Belize

Awesome, thank you all very much. Again, any information about the lay of the land or the play of the cities is useful and greatly appreciated. I'm really looking forward to my trip...