We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chosing a volcano to see

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wallingford...
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
chosing a volcano to see

We are trying to decide between Pacaya or Acatenango volcanos for a day trip. Has anyone been to both that could recomend which is a better one to hike and more intersting to see? we aren't concerend with hiking difficulty levels but more with scenic things like flowing lava and views.

Thank you

Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
58 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: chosing a volcano to see

I did Pacaya yesterday , to be honest did not impressed me, you do a easy very dusty hike for almost 2 hours with local guide speaking spanglish and you dont get really close to the lava because security reasons. The guides push to tip and is over crowded hike with lots of group walking at same time. Lot of horses around make the scenery around so dusty because their heavy walk . really got red eyes and kilo of dust in my clothes, hair and shoes.

The scenery is not wild at all, lot of piles and other stuffs in the way and in the top of the hike was really windy, very almost flew up!!!that was funny.

dont know the other volcano but i guess at least will be less crowd from the very loudy americans.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: chosing a volcano to see

I haven't done either, but the attraction of the Pacaya hike is that you can get close to the lava. And it's an easier hike. If you're feeling lazy or just tired, locals will be renting horses to ride.

Wallingford...
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: chosing a volcano to see

Thanks for the input! I think the only thing making pacaya atractive to us is being close to the lava so we'll have to think about it and do more research I guess. If you don't mind my asking have you been to lake atitilan while there? we are also thinking of going there for a day.

Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
58 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: chosing a volcano to see

lake atitlan is beautiful but wqill be better if you stay in some hotel in one town or village around and enjoy sunsets and pretty relax walk around or kayaking on the lake or swimming in the lake, got good views and plenty to do around and enteratain your self.

DONT GO TO PACAYA, is rip off!!! bore dusty and dissapointed

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: chosing a volcano to see

Lake Atitlan is not to be missed! You haven't mentioned how long your trip is, but I'd definitely opt for more time around the lake and less time in Antigua. Check out the Posada in Santiago, Casa del Mundo in Jaibalito, or Lomas in Tzunana (www.atitlan.com). If you're on a tight budget, try San Pedro.

Guatemala
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: chosing a volcano to see

Whatever you do, dono't try the volcano unless you are on a guided tour. We use Old Time Outfitters in Antigua, and have never had problems.......but others have "met some of the locals" when trying to hike Pacaya.

If you have either a Thurs or Sunday to spare, I would recommend doing the Antigua - Atitlan -Chichicastenango route.

Chichi has a huge market on Thirsdays and Sundays, and it is half way between Atitlan and Antigua. It is easy to arrange transport (about $5pp each way) when in Antigua through any of the tur companies.

7. Re: chosing a volcano to see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, October 19, 2009