We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tikal 2 day Tour-Which Option and Bag Storage in Chichi??

Aventura, Florida
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tikal 2 day Tour-Which Option and Bag Storage in Chichi??

1.Tikal 2 day Tour-Which Option?

2.Bag Storage During Chichicastengo Stop.

We are finally going in ten days.

Our itinerary is:Antigua-4 days, Penajachel-2, Chichicastenango-1, Tikal-2, G.C.-1.

Question 1

We are going to take the Turansa Tikal 2 day tour from Antigua.

They offer 3 options and we would like your opinion on which to choose.

All options cover all ground and air transport, 1 night in the Jungle Lodge and a 3 hour guided visit to the park on the first morning.The options include in addition:

1. Lunch first day and breakfast second day. Package cost is $US315/pp.

2. No meals, early morning guided visit to park on second day; $US334/PP.

3. Lunch first day, dinner first day, breakfast second day, lunch second day, early morning guided visit to park on second day; $US370/PP.

We think that the options 2 and 3 are most interesting since they offer us two days of guided tours.

This appears to be reasonable since the park entrance fee is now $US20.

We have read many negative comments on the Hotel Restaurant and we are thinking of, perhaps, taking option 2 and getting food on the spot.

Question 2

On a Sunday morning we will be travelling by shuttle from Panajachel to Chichicastenango for market day, arriving about 9-10AM.

We will then be visiting the market and should leave, with another shuttle to Antigua, About 2-3PM.

Where can we store our bags while visiting the market?

Is it safe to visit the Mayan shrine, Pascal Abaj?

Thank you all for the useful information on this forum.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tikal 2 day Tour-Which Option and Bag Storage in Chichi??

In general, the food is lousy at the Tikal hotels. There are some comedores nearby, but it can be slow. It's been some years since I was there, but I doubt it's changed much.

Make sure your entrance fees are included for both days. If so, that sounds pretty good, though I'm not sure what a guide is going to tell you on the second day that you didn't hear on the first.

I've read of a baggage storage place at Chichi, but I don't recall specifics. Maybe someone else can help out there. If you're using the same shuttle company on both legs of the trip, they may be able to help out; check with them.

Elkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
209 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tikal 2 day Tour-Which Option and Bag Storage in Chichi??

There is some irony that including a couple of meals is cheaper than including no meals. You are money ahead if you pay for the two crappy hotel meals and head to either comedor for a good one. I like Imperio Maya, but the other one looks good too. Ignore all the old news in the newer guides. There are only two comedores there these days.

3. Re: Tikal 2 day Tour-Which Option and Bag Storage in Chichi??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, September 15, 2009