We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio dulce.Is it worth the visit?

paris
Level Contributor
82 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Rio dulce.Is it worth the visit?

Originally I was plannig to take the deluxe bus from guat.city to rio dulce ,spend a few days and then take the deluxe bus(Grey line)to flores.

However it seems that the deluxe bus to flores is usually full and that leaves the chicken bus for a 5 hrs drive ,which i don't fancy.Also not easy to get a resonable taxi or shuttle from rio dulce to a northern lake location.So I wonder whether i am right in my assumptions and also whether its really worth all the hastle.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rio dulce.Is it worth the visit?

There's a regular Pullman-type bus to Flores from Rio Dulce. You don't have to take a chicken bus.

WA State
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rio dulce.Is it worth the visit?

Just returned from Guatemala and other CA countries and visited the Rio Dulce area. As far as just going to Rio Dulce itself, to me it just looked like another small, congested Guatemalan town on a large river. But the thing to do when you get to Rio Dulce is to take the boat ride (think 10 - 12 passenger open boats going about 35 MPH) out to the city of Livingston and stay for a couple days. The ride down the river is interesting and as you get close to Livingston you travel through a beautiful gorge area. Liivingston is an interesting town with several cultures competing with one another. Good food and pretty good prices. You have to take the boat back up the river to get back to Rio Dulce as there are no roads going to Livingston.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rio dulce.Is it worth the visit?

I sugest you visit www.mayaparadise.com or www.guatemalastory.com and take a looke at some beautiful places to stay right by the water. I think hotelito perdido its one of those. It's close to the hot springs water falls. If you take www.litegua.com yu should be able to catch a pullman-type bus from rio dulce to Flores which is only a three hour ride.

www.fincatatin.centroamerica.com is another place where people have a great time kayaking on the river and getting together at night to share stories and meet other travellers. But of course then you have www.mansiondelrio.com.gt or the amatique bay resort which are definetely worth the money. Good luck.

4. Re: Rio dulce.Is it worth the visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, September 17, 2009