We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guatemala Itinerary

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Guatemala Itinerary

How long does it take to travel from Guatemala City to Tikal/Peten? I did it 15 years ago as a kid on vacation with my family, but these days I'm not sure. I'm thinking of going to visit next year.

Here is the potenital list of stops:

Guatemala City - must because I have family there

Antigua - of course!

Lake Atitlan

Tikal/Peten

Puerto Barrios (maybe)

Any thoughts?

Napa, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Guatemala Itinerary

Hi Ruthbruin,

It's about

Napa, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Guatemala Itinerary

Hi ruthbruin!

It's about an 10 hour trip by bus from the ciudad to tikal. I like to stop and stay the night in Rio Dulce town which is about six hours from Guatemala city just to break up the long ride. In the morning,

you can take a swim under the hot waterfall (seriously!) close to town before continuing on to Tikal. If you're on a budget, I recommend staying in Flores, rather than at Tikal itself. It's easy to catch a shuttle bus to Tikal from the tour company close to the bridge into town. For cheap rooms try my friends at the Mayab hotel to the left of the bridge on the west side of the island.

Lago de Atitlan is a beautiful, beautiful place. I recommend staying in Santiago de Atitlan.

Puerto Barrios is no place anybody should go to. Check out Livingston instead on the other side of the river.

ryangncs

Elkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
209 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guatemala Itinerary

I prefer an overnight bus trip from Guate to Santa Elena, which should take around 8 hours. In February, I was on a second class overnight bus, kind of like an old US Greyhound, and I have not seen a HUGE amount of differences between it and luxury buses with Linea Dorada. There is nothing much to see in Puerto Barrios.

Returning in daytime via Coban with a nightover there would give you some seriously scenic views along the way, unlike the slash and burn agriculture the other way.

4. Re: Guatemala Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, September 03, 2009