We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon itinerary

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Honeymoon itinerary

Here is my idea for my honeymoon coming up. Let me know if this sounds good or anyone has any other suggestions.

-Fly into San Jose. Pick up rental car. Stay first nite at Grano de Oro

-Drive to Peace Lodge and stay three nites there.

-Drive all the way to the Caribbean coast and stay at Azanai Bungalows for 7 nites.

-Drive back to San Jose and stay at Grano de Oro 1 nite.

-Return rental car and fly out of San Jose.

Anything I should change or worry about? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Whitby, ON Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon itinerary

One question...what time do you arrive/depart SJO?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
133 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon itinerary

Good itinerary.

My wife and I have stayed at Grano de Oro and Azania so we highly recommend both.

Grano de Oro is pretty upscale and a great comfort after being on a plane all day and then driving back from the Caribbean Coast.

Azania is a great place to stay. Just don't eat there. It is overpriced. Walk into Puerto Viejo and you'll find over a dozen places to eat.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon itinerary

We would arrive at noon San Jose time and depart at 12:45pm San Jose time.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,308 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon itinerary

If I were you I'd drive straight to the Peace Lodge from the airport. It took us an hour and 20 minutes from the airport. Then stay the first 2 nights there. Unless you're using it as a base for day trips, 3 nights is excessive as you can hike the grounds, check out the waterfalls, butterfly garden and hummingbirsd all in 1 day. On the other hand you might need time to recover from the wedding festivities and it's a romantic spot. If you're driving from the airport be sure to make dinner reservations in advance for the first night.

Since you save the 1st night by not going into SJ, you could add a day or 2 in Saripiqui as its not out of the way driving from the Peace Lodge to Puerto Viejo. Selva Verde is great for wildlife. The other option would be to drive from Peace Lodge to the Caribbean coast, stopping just outside Cahuita at Aviarios del Caribe, a small B&B and sloth sanctuary with guided canoe tours on the estuary. If you're into wildlife, you'll love it. The next morning you could check out the beach and snorkeling at the national park in Cahuita before continuing on the short drive south to Puerto Viejo.

The other thing to consider is if you want to rent a car which gives you a great deal of flexibility or if you want to hire a driver and car, which reduces the stress quite a bit. A driver can steer you to great little places to eat you might not find on your own and will give you a lot of information and background as you travel. On the other hand the rental car is cheaper and if you've been to Costa Rica before you'd probably prefer to drive yourself around. We loved having a driver for our first trip as he stopped at places we never would have found or known about on our own, including our favorite restaurant.

5. Re: Honeymoon itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 pm, August 26, 2009