We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neurotic Planner Needs Help

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Neurotic Planner Needs Help

Hello all. Been planning this mid-Feb. trip to CR for 1 1/2yrs (primarily to save up the $)

Made all the hotel arrangements this summer and finally got the flight tix... but haven't done much in the way of looking at activities for the family for 5 months. Also, my husband on this kick to innoculated for anything that could remotely happen....

So, what are the don't misses for 2 adults, 1 adventurous 5 yr old at

Peace lodge 11-13 Feb

Selva Verde 13-15 Feb

Arenal Paraiso 15-19th Feb

Monteverde 19th-21

SJ 21-22(fly home)

And what do we really need to take before we leave (ie malaria pills?)

Advice appreciated!

yucaipa, Ca.
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neurotic Planner Needs Help

Make sure your five year old has a passport and you may want insect repellent; no shots required. As far as activities you will have more than you can choose from and wait until you get there as it will be less expensive than booking something online in advance.

Bluffton, Indiana
Level Contributor
63 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neurotic Planner Needs Help

My husband and I visited Costa Rica March 2006. We did not see one mosquito during our stay. Actually, we did not see any type of flying bugs. We seen lots of iguanias, monkeys and jelly fish. No shots or pills are needed to travel to Costa Rica. If you are staying in a tropical rainforest with no electric, no running water or something like that, I would probably think twice about bugs, but at resorts, I did not see one. Have a great time!!

PS Take LOTS of sunscreen, the sun is so intense. Take a hat for the little one so he/she can wear it outside. Lots of sunburns

chicago
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Neurotic Planner Needs Help

Do not worry about a thing. Book your activities there and offer to pay in cash so they can pass credit card fees savings to you (about 10%). In Arenal don't miss the hanging bridges and horse back rides to the Arenal Volcano National Park. (about $40 per person). Try the pizza at Bagabondo Pizeria in La fortuna.

toronto
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neurotic Planner Needs Help

You will love it!

Your sticking to the north - you only have to be concerned when you travel off the resorts in the south, etc. (Dengue fever, etc.).

Costa Rica has such extremes - you can be just roasting in intense DRY heat on a beach in Guanacaste, travel to the cloud forest and need a fleecy and a rain coat. But it's not remotely cold - but misty and possibly as low as in the 60s. So...for the little one a sunsuit (spf 50+) is so much less of a hassle than a bathing suit and slathering him up constantly with sunscreen (get an over sized two peice as opposed to a one peice) - and a sunsuit hat with the backflap and visor (think Lawrence of Arabia). But for Monteverde, buy three of those really cheap rain ponchos you get from a camping (light weight and portable) - you can just throw it over what you are wearing. A fleecy and maybe wellies for your little one for the rain forest treks, as the paths are slippy, insects, possibly snakes (though they do stay away from the noise/vibes of hikers) - but with a five year old, why not? Insect repellent/sunscreen etc. And maybe a Leapster hand-held device for your five year old. There are two programs in particular - Dora's adventure and "animal genius" - which are educational and will teach/prepare and excite your child as to what he/she is about to encounter. It's also a lifesaver re: boredom, because the roads are painfully slow (lots of time in car/bus), not to mention it's handy at the airport/on plane! It worked for our five year old!

We brought an underwater housing for our digital camera, so we could take pix everywhere - even in extreme wet conditions.

It is a special place-

we're probably going back this Feb. with our two kids!

Nadine

Harvard...
Level Contributor
144 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neurotic Planner Needs Help

I agree with those who say that a) little need for insect repellant -- only place I encountered flying bugs in 13 years was in Tortugero, and b) little need for shots -- Hepatitis B being the only POSSIBLE exception, and it is a long shot (so to speak) that you will need it.

Take a deep breath.

toronto
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Neurotic Planner Needs Help

I agree. We did get the kids the twinrix (hep a/b) before we left for vacation last year. They'll get it (the vaccines, not the disease!) eventually so why not now, just to be safe (my husband and I did too). You need 3 shots in total, spaced apart in time (I forget how long) but we were "immune" after just two, which was good, as we scrambled to be vaccinated before we left last year. It's a safe vaccine, not implicated in anything ominous and free of mercury-based thimerosol, if that concerns you. - but stear clear of chloriquine and other malaria meds. You won't encounter those diseases! The side-effects are not worth it!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Neurotic Planner Needs Help

Thank you all for the info. I never was emailed that I had replies so I didn't find anything until now. Hep B is required where I live for school age kids and both my husband & I had already had it for our work. As for Hep A, we went ahead and all got innoculated as we heard that it will soon be a requirement anyway for school age kids where we live. We passed on the malaria pills as we were told that they do not prevent the disease only keep it from getting very bad and that you're advised not to get pregnant for a year after taking the medication.....

Thanks again!

8. Re: Neurotic Planner Needs Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, August 25, 2009