We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Costa Rica for 60+ year olds

Lenexa
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
First time to Costa Rica for 60+ year olds

We are thinking of a week long trip in December, flying into/out of San Jose. We would probably have to spend the night coming and going in San Jose in order to make flights, so that would leave us about 4 nights to spend elsewhere. We are active adults, but also like just relaxing! Could someone advise on a good place to spend 4 nights and some activities?

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
413 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: First time to Costa Rica for 60+ year olds

Consider this. Stay at Banana Azul near Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean Sea.You can visit the Jaguar Rescue Centre, take a guided hike through the Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge and spend some time walking around Puerto Viejo (a small town). You will have no problem filling your 4 days with activities in this area.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: First time to Costa Rica for 60+ year olds

Great advice. See www.puertoviejosatellite.com for more info on this area. downside is it's a 4-5 hour drive from San Jose.

If this is the 1st half of December you could also look at Samara, a small walkable beach town on the Nicoya peninsula with a good beach, great restaurants and plenty to do. Check out the Samara Info Center for lots more info on area. Nearby Playa Carrillo is undeveloped and one of the prettiest beaches in the country, lined with coconut palms.

Or you could check out the better known Manuel Antonio which would be way too crowded for my taste at Christmas but fine the 1st 1/2 of the month.

One last suggestion would be to try and expand your trip to a few more days. Airfare represents a large portion of travel costs and if you could manage a Saturday to the following Sunday trip, that would give you 7 full days to explore instead of 4 - enough to check out a second area - maybe Arenal volcano.

Lenexa
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: First time to Costa Rica for 60+ year olds

Thank you for the replies.. I will check them out. The main reason we're doing this trip is that airfare is basically free and since it is around holiday (busy) time, we felt like we could only go for a week. What about treehouses type lodge? I know they are expensive, but if we only go for two-three nights, it might be do-able. Also, we are thinking we don't want to drive....from what I've read, the roads are pretty bad. We would prefer to hire a driver, I think. We plan to go around first week of December.

Edited: 12:27 pm, September 18, 2015
Lenexa
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: First time to Costa Rica for 60+ year olds

Banana Azul looks great......!! I will check out dates and how we get there to/from airport. Thank you for suggestion!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
413 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: First time to Costa Rica for 60+ year olds

If you decide on a private driver, we contacted Gecko Trail Adventures and they made the arrangements for us. The driver was courteous, safe and made stops along the way. Interbus is another option where you tend to share transportation with others and may be less expensive.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,166 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: First time to Costa Rica for 60+ year olds

Firsttimer....Just returned in early July. roads are NOT bad. Sure. Some roads into the national parks are unpaved but the "regular" roads are decent.

For the reason you state about arrival/departure stay at or near SJO....Consider the Hampton Inn or the Holiday Inn each is a short shuttle ride (under 1/2 mile) from SJO. We do the same.

Also you can book a 2 night stay at a lodge in Tortuguero. The Lodge will get you at the SJO hotel, take you to the docket La Pavona, for a boat trip on the canals to your lodge. (exciting trip it is). A guide is accompanying you. All food is included. You don't need to drive, Check Turtle Beach Lodge, Pachira Lodge, and a couple of others. The Lodge can return you to your SJO hotel or to another stopoff. Maybe even Arenal/La Fortuna.

There is a Tree house lodge in La Fortuna/Arenal. We have been trying to get at least one overnight there on 3 trips, but can never get it together. If you do go book it as soon as you can.

We are also 60+ and a little more.... We did have angst about driving in CR on our first visit, but bit the bullet, angst quickly disappeared, and we rent with no qualms.

Lenexa
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: First time to Costa Rica for 60+ year olds

Thanks for the replies. I checked the tree house lodge around La Fortuna/Arenal. They have availability for 3 of our nights not all four, so we would have to find something else for one night. I'm not sure if it is worth it to be switching hotels. Thanks also for your comments on car rentals. Do you just rent one when you get there or try to reserve ahead of time?

8. Re: First time to Costa Rica for 60+ year olds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 20, 2016