We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle service from San Jose to Arenal

NY
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Shuttle service from San Jose to Arenal

Hi,

Our flight lands in Costa Rica at 9.45am.(Taca airlines). Is there any shuttle from San Jose to Arenal at about 11 am? Looking into all the shuttle company itenaries, it looks like they have one at 8am & other in the after noon say after 2pm.

Any info will b appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

Long Beach,CA
Level Contributor
525 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle service from San Jose to Arenal

Others will chime in I am sure, but we hired a company to drive us from San Jose to Arnenal. There are many options (e.g. Interbus versus private transportation) for you to choose. For public transporation they have certain time schedules - for private you choose your time to leave. Obviously differences in prices.

I can only comment on private shuttle transportation. I would recommend emailing a couple of private companies to determine price and compare to public transportation. Depends on your budget.

This year we used EcoTrans Shuttle service from San Jose to Arenal and Arenal to Tamarindo. I must say they did an excellent job in providing services - prompt and clean mini van. Then again were were 9 people traveling. They have a website you can view and email them for prices. Also Arenal.net has a website which also lists transporation services.

The year before for Manual Antonio we used a private driver that was recommended by the Buena Vista Villas. Again excellent service.

LonnaLinda

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
NY
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle service from San Jose to Arenal

Thanx LonnaLinda for the info.

Since we are only 2 ppl, I'm considering shuttle service than private transportation. Have checked many shuttle service companies thru' internet as well as in arenal.net & none of them have service at about say 12 noon. We dont want to spend time in airport from 10 am to say 2pm just waiting to get into a shuttle bus. May be nature air is the only option considering the price & time spending on the travel on private transfer to Arenal from San Jose intl airport.

Can anyone suggest me any shuttle company providing service at around 11am?

Thanx

Long Beach,CA
Level Contributor
525 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle service from San Jose to Arenal

Couple on Travel,

I think what you are asking is Public (e.g. Interbus) versus Private Transportation. Private shuttle services (or private driver) will take you at whatever time you schedule. Public shuttle services are at a set time which limit you in your options and you may have to wait until the public service leaves. Obviously there is a difference in price but with a private company you get the time you want to leave.

Nature Air or Sansa don't fly into Arenal. Only way to get to Arenal is by car or shuttle. It is about 3.5 hours but I recall it being about 3 hours total for us to get there.

LL

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shuttle service from San Jose to Arenal

LL, actually Nature Air does have an 11:30am flight to Arenal. Flights there have been on and off over the years because of accidents, but they are on again.

Couple on Travel, yeah, the shared tourist shuttles basically have morning and afternoon departures as you've discovered (unless someone new has entered the market and is offering something around noon).

There's an 11:30am direct bus from downtown San Jose to Fortuna that takes 4 hours and will cost you a few bucks a person. It's safe and efficient. You'd have to take a cab down to the station, though, from the airport and then get to your hotel from the bus stop in Fortuna. Another option is to try to intercept the bus at the airport or in Alajuela, but you'll need to get specific instructions on that.

All is not lost if you have to wait around until 2 or 3pm for a shuttle, though. If you have minimal luggage, you can head into San Jose or Alajuela and have lunch. Pick a decent restaurant downtown, and I'm sure they'll watch your luggage for an hour or two so you can walk around afterwards. Then just meet the shuttle at a nearby pickup hotel and head up to Arenal...

ED,AB
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shuttle service from San Jose to Arenal

HI

We had the same problem we are also arriving on the Taca airlines flight in the early morning we found transport costarica which charges 115.00US for two - four persons they will pick you at any time.

NY
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shuttle service from San Jose to Arenal

thanx Misterjosh for confirming my thoughts.

yea, may be its a better option to book a private transport rather than waiting in airport or san jose & almost loosing 6 hrs. is it needed to book this very early? we would be travelling on Nov23rd & by when we need to book for private or public shuttles?

considering a public bus looks good except the hassles of travel between airport to san jose & then la fortuna to arenal paraiso.

even for nature air flight, we need to change the airports in san jose & travel from their airport to arenal paraiso in arenal.

thanx a lot everyone, for all the info & also pls let me know if anything new comes up in the market which gives shuttle(public) from SJO to arenal around 11 am.

thanx

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shuttle service from San Jose to Arenal

Couple, keep in mind that if a private transfer from the airport to Fortuna costs you $110 and you'd otherwise go into downtown San Jose for lunch and catch a tourist shuttle, It's really only costing you about $35 more than the taxi/tourist shuttle would ($15 + $30x2) and you're getting there faster and hassle-free. Plus, if there's anything you'd like to see/stop at along the way, you can even work that in with a private transfer.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shuttle service from San Jose to Arenal

Couple on Travel -

We just elected to hire a private driver to take us to Arenal from SJO.

He quoted us $140USD for the trip, which is comparable to flying up there via Nature Air. We couldn't do Nature Air as their flight left that day before we arrived, therefore we would have had to stay until the next morning to catch a flight to Arenal. Also this trip is going to be our honeymoon so I didn't want to induldge my sweetie with public transportation our first day there. I have taken the public transporation in Costa Rica in the past...and it was very safe and economical and a real adventure if you are up for it.

The private driver we booked had good reviews here on the site, so I'm sure he's good. I did receive a very prompt response back from him and he was excited to here that it was to be our honeymoon.

If you want to contact him, here is his contact info:

Orlando Vargas

orlandovargas2000@yahoo.com

He also stated that he could arrange for site seeing excursions on the way to our final destinations. It looks like your leaving after we get back so I'll post our experience with him if you'd like.

NY
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shuttle service from San Jose to Arenal

yep, right.

considering all these, may b we will book a private shuttle soon. just wanted to know, how many days before our actual travel date, we need to book these things?

yea, would b happy if u can give the feedback on the driver u mentioned.

thanx all.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shuttle service from San Jose to Arenal

CostaRicaTraveler recommened the driver in a couple of post in the forum. Here is the link to one of them

tripadvisor.com/…4798985

If it doesn't come up just do a search on Orlando's email addresss and you'll find a lot of reviews on him.

I'll post my experience when we return.