We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are the best places to visit in Costa Rica??

Okotoks, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Where are the best places to visit in Costa Rica??

My husband & I are planning to go to Costa Rica next January for 10 to 12 days. We are in mid forties and we like nice, luxury and romantic places. We don't like all inclusive hotel.

We already want to go in Papagayo area (Liberia), Arenal and La Fortuna.

Is Tortuguero and Manuel Antonio worth going there as well?

Is there any others places we should see in Costa Rica?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where are the best places to visit in Costa Rica??

Nice set of questions…good places you pick!!

Papagayo check JW Marriot…Four Seasons…Cala Luna in Tamarindo

Arenal…Tabacon and Arenal Nayara…

Torftuguero Pachira Lodge…Mawmba Lode,,,Laguna Lodge..

Manuel Antonio…Los Altos…Buena Vista Villas and Casas…Arenas del mar…

Thank you for asking…and I hope you enjoy our country as much as we native do!!

roadadvisor

Edited: 9:42 pm, August 12, 2014
Okotoks, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where are the best places to visit in Costa Rica??

Thank you !!

If we visit Arenal, are Torftuguero & Manuel Antonio kind of same view?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where are the best places to visit in Costa Rica??

Arenal and Tortuguero and Manuel Antonio are totally different from each other.

As for "best" places to visit -- this is a very subjective answer. There's "popular" and then there's "best." What I think of as "best" might not fit with your ideas.

If you are wanting to stay somewhere in the Papagayo area, then plan on flying into LIR Liberia. In that case, I would not plan on visiting Manuel Antonio - it just takes too long to get there -- pretty much an all-day trip and you will pass by lots of interesting places on the way. (Yes, you can take domestic flights from LIR to Quepos.....)

So maybe just stick to Papagayo, Arenal and Tortuguero. They are very different from each other.

www.arenal.net or www.fortunawelcome.com and www.tortuguerovillage.com

For a non-AI in the Papagayo area, you can look at El Mangroove or Andaz Papagayo. Get some other ideas here: tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g635535-Gulf_of_Papag… This list includes AI as well as non-AI hotels.

For Arenal, there are lots of choices from the beautiful little Arenal Oasis to Hotel Nayara or The Springs.

In Tortuguero, you can do a "package deal" that includes your transportation, lodging, food and a tour - or - you can travel independently. For package deal -- www.tortugueroinfo.com is helpful.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
877 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where are the best places to visit in Costa Rica??

If you like luxury and unique and romantic places, then by all means look at the Peace Lodge, and The Springs Resort and Spa. These are sister properties that are owned by a Florida family, that try to build a unique travel experience for his guests. This is sometimes misunderstood by the local Tico's, but for Americans and Canadians that enjoy being pampered from time to time, these are places that are great to add to the trip. My wife makes me put the Peace Lodge as our first couple of nights, as it puts both of us in the right frame of mind to enjoy the rest of our trip. If you are flying into SJO, it is only about a two hour drive from the airport to the resort. You have gotten pretty good choices by the other posts, so the only thing that I will add is that if you are going in the wet season, it may be a waste of time to go to Manuel Antonio. This is really the only area that we have been to in the wet season that we have had complete day rain outs. I realize that it can happen anywhere, but it seems that it is wetter in this area than most of the other along the Pacific Coast.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
178 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where are the best places to visit in Costa Rica??

Just stayed at The Springs and it was a beautiful, romantic hotel. Definitely look into it, we loved it.

6. Re: Where are the best places to visit in Costa Rica??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 20, 2015