We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to travel by air and to Costa Rica! Need tips!!!

North Little Rock...
1 post
Save Topic
First time to travel by air and to Costa Rica! Need tips!!!

Hi everyone. My wife and I are flying to Coast Rica in June for 7 days and staying at an all-inclusive resort. Neither of us have ever flown before and obviously have never been to Costa Rica. We've been on two cruises where we went to Cozomel, Cayman Islands and Jamaica. My questions are regarding air travel and money. For starters how does baggage work? We have a layover in Houston, TX. Will the airline move our baggage from one plane to the other and is there a baggage fee? Secondly, we included a shuttle ride with our vacation package from the airport in Coast Rica to the resort which looks to be about an hour away. How will we know where to go and what shuttle to be on? And last, can I use US dollars and if not, how do you exchange it for Colons? Also, I had read somewhere that's it's best not to use credit cards and to get some sort of special ATM card?? I really appreciate any advice or tips! Thanks!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to travel by air and to Costa Rica! Need tips!!!

Don't worry about luggage, once you've checked it in, it should make it to Costa Rica airport. The shuttle driver should be waiting for you with a sign with your name or hotel name on it. You can use dollars if you like, you can use your credit card too, and if you have a ATM card, you most likely be able to use it to withdraw colones in Costa Rica, I suggest you do so at airport. Don't forget to notify financial institutions of your travel plans. Make sure you print copy of passports and your entry stamp to Costa Rica, carry with you and keep original in safe at hotel.

United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to travel by air and to Costa Rica! Need tips!!!

So fun!!

I get cold on planes, so layers are good. I wear shoes that can be slipped on and off easily to make security more efficient. Planes are dry, so purchase some water after you go through to security to take on the plane with you. Pack any liquids over 3.4 oz in your checked suitcase. Any liquids that you carry on with you need to be smaller than 3.4 oz and in an easy to grab quart size ziplock bag. Carry on any necessary medication. When you land, it will be warm so I usually carry on clothes that I can change into when I land, and a swimsuit on the chance your luggage gets delayed. Fees depend on your airline, but pack light, you don't want to go over your limit. It might be bumpy on the plane-nothing to worry about! Enjoy yourself!!

Edited: 12:16 pm, March 25, 2014
~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to travel by air and to Costa Rica! Need tips!!!

On the flight to Costa Rica, once you check your bags at your origin airport, they SHOULD make it all the way to Costa Rica, where you will pick them up on the baggage carousel. You don't have to do anything once you check them. There is always a small chance your luggage gets mixed up and doesn't make the flight, but that is rare.

When you fly back to the US, it's a little different. When you land, you will go through US Customs. Before you go through Customs, you will pick up your bags so that they can be inspected. After you go through Customs, you will place them in an area where they will be re-checked to your final destination.

Enjoy your first flight!

4. Re: First time to travel by air and to Costa Rica! Need tips!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 27, 2015