We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go?

1 post
Save Topic
Where to go?

My husband and I are wanting to take our three kids (16, 19, and 23) to Costa Rica for a Cmas trip. Based on prices I am seeing, it looks like it is better to go after Cmas, so we are considering Dec 31-Jan 7, but have no idea where to go or stay. We want to snorkel, dive, zipline, hike, kayak, sightsee.Can anyone give me good suggestions of places to stay, what beach to go to? When I price trips, I don't even know what destination to put in because there are so many listed for Costa Rica. I also don't know what airport to click. Thanks so much!!

El Santuario Canopy Adventure Tour
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Guanacaste Viajes & Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, River Rafting & Tubing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
ADR Adventure Park
Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
MidWorld Costa Rica
Canyons, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Other Outdoor Activities
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
110 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go?

Yes, you are right, there are so many options in Costa Rica. The time that you chose to travel i high season, not only do many tourists stay in Costa Rica at that time, also the Costa Ricans are enjoying there vacations and go to the beaches that time of the year. So it really makes sense to make some reservations as soon as possible to make sure that you get some nice rooms in the hotels that you like and if you want to rent a car you should also book it in advance. You want to dive, snorkel, kayak- The South Caribbean Coast coul be interesting for you. There are many nice beaches and they are not as crowded as some of the beaches on the pacific side that time of the year. Around Puerto Viejo, Manzanillo and Cahuita you find great hotels, a lot of wildlife and beautiful tropical vegetation and good options for snorkeling and kayaking. You could for example stay in Puerto Viejo or better Playa Cocles, enjoy the beach and do some day trips either to Cahuita National Park where you can do a combi tour that includes snorkeling and a guided hike through the forest or go to Manzanillo where you find a beautiful reserve, options to snorkel and do some kayaking. If you prefer the Pacific coast, then the south would be best for you. Consider for example Corcovado- perfect for hiking and seeing animals and untouched nature and there you could also do a tour to Cano Island, which is a great place for snorkeling and diving.

For ziplining and some more hiking, you could for example go to La Fortuna/Arenal Volcano. The Skytrek Canopy Tour in my eyes is the best zipline tour you can do in Costa Rica and the view of the Volcano and the Arenal lake is just incredible. Being there you could also do some hiking in the rainforest for example a tour of hanging bridges, after all the adventure you should then have some relax in the Hot Springs :-) Monteverde is a smaller town (the town of Santa Elena), there are some reserves that are perfect for hiking in the cloud forest and there are some great options for Canopy aswell.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go?

Very quickly...

If you haven't been to Costa Rica before, you may consider going to two of the more popular areas: 1. Arenal / Fortuna 2. Manuel Antonio

Arenal / Fortuna area has a volcano and all the outdoor activities you want, minus the beach. Manuel Antonio has the rainforest that comes right down to the beach with monkeys, sloths, toucans, etc.

For both of these places you would fly into the main airport - San Jose (SJO)

There are tons of options, but those are two of the big ones. You can do research on those areas.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
352 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go?

I totally agree with ThePuraVida.

Both destinations are great. Plus, Manuel Antonio with kids...it's just perfect!

The National Park Manuel Antonio really worth the 10$ entrance fees.

Beautiful beaches.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go?

Not to hijack this thread, but I think we've finally decided on our locations for our trip at the end of November. Which area would you say is more relaxing,Fortuna or Manuel Antonio? I'd like to end our trip there. Also we are going for 8 nights, and my initial thoughts were 4 nights in each, does that sound good? or should we stay a few more nights at one of the locations? We have a 6 year old, who really enjoys animals.

Edited: 12:36 pm, October 09, 2013
Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
520 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go?

Most people fly into San Jose airport as it is most centrally located.

Manuel Antonio is a beautiful beach town located approximately 3 hours south of the airport where you can do all of the activities that you listed above. The country's most popular national park is also located there and there are lots of opportunities to spot jungle wildlife in the area. It is a great location for all ages and there is plenty to do and see in the area. Hope this helps!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,952 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go?

BAsed on your infoe you can do...SJO...Arenal and Manuel Antonio...very popular itinerary ...and you will see a lot...

roadadvisor

7. Re: Where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 17, 2014