We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-stop flights to Costa Rica from the U.S.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
Non-stop flights to Costa Rica from the U.S.

I stumbled across a website: www.travelmath.com , that enables you to find all of the airlines that fly in/out of any airport in the world. Plus, you can limit the search to non-stops, plus all sorts of other things. Here are all of the non-stops from the U.S. to SJO:

American Airlines from DFW to SJO

American Airlines from MIA to SJO

Jetblue Airways Corporation from MCO to SJO

Delta Air Lines from ATL to SJO

LACSA-Lineas Aereas Costarricenses from MIA to SJO

Spirit Airlines from FLL to SJO

United Airlines from EWR to SJO

United Airlines from IAH to SJO

US Airways from CLT to SJO

US Airways from MIA to SJO

United Airlines from MIA to SJO

Frontier Airlines Inc. from DEN to SJO

LACSA-Lineas Aereas Costarricenses from CLT to SJO

LACSA-Lineas Aereas Costarricenses from PHX to SJO

US Airways from PHX to SJO

Jetblue Airways Corporation from FLL to SJO

Delta Air Lines from LAX to SJO

United Airlines from IAD to SJO

United Airlines from ORD to SJO

And to LIR:

American Airlines from DFW to LIR

American Airlines from MIA to LIR

Jetblue Airways Corporation from JFK to LIR

Delta Air Lines from ATL to LIR

United Airlines from EWR to LIR

United Airlines from IAH to LIR

US Airways from CLT to LIR

Frontier Airlines Inc. from DEN to LIR

United Airlines from ORD to LIR

Sun Country Airlines from DFW to LIR

This may not include all charter airlines, but it is pretty comprehensive. Everyone is likely aware of most of these, but some of these are new to me. I think the LAX-SJO just started this summer. I didn't realize that US Air flew non-stop from Phoenix, either.

It's not perfect, as it doesn't seem to find seasonal flights like the Delta or Sun Country MSP-LIR non-stop. Or Frontier ORD-LIR.

Here's a tip when searching for airfares: A lot of the major search engines like Expedia and Priceline won't find Frontier or Sun Country flights. Stick with my favorite, ITA Matrix.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52,970 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: Non-stop flights to Costa Rica from the U.S.

Thank you so nice of you!!

roaadvisor

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
307 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Non-stop flights to Costa Rica from the U.S.

Southwest is adding service from IAH early 2014 or late 2013 (no specific date announced yet, but the new flight was confirmed by someone very high up with the airport authority), but I don't think they'll show up on any metasearch, because SW doesn't list in any GDS. I don't know specifically where ITA pulls from but that may also be the reason the charter flights don't show up, because they don't always go into the GDS either.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
3. Re: Non-stop flights to Costa Rica from the U.S.

Here's some more interesting stuff, including why Southwest never shows up:

airfare.michaelbluejay.com/searchengines.html

Skyscanner is pretty neat, because you don't have to put in specific cities. So if you're flexible, you can tell it: "I'd like to fly from Canada to Costa Rica sometime during April 2014", and it will find the cheapest departure and arrival cities. You don't have to spend hours doing what-if scenarios.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
4. Re: Non-stop flights to Costa Rica from the U.S.

What most people don't realize is that no matter how easy technology has made it for us to find and book our own airfares, sometimes there is just no substitute for a good travel agent. They work with consolidators and can sometimes get you fares that just aren't available anywhere else.

Earlier this year, a travel agent saved us $1,100 in airfares to Barbados. Their consolidator buys up big blocks of tickets that they resell. Once the consolidator buys these tickets, they are no longer available to the public, and you can only get them through a travel agent.

It generally only happens on really popular routes.

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
821 posts
48 reviews
5. Re: Non-stop flights to Costa Rica from the U.S.

Informative list, thanks for sharing it. We are on the Delta non-stop from LAX & back in mid February, The times are not our favorite but we opted for it over having to transfer at other airports and drag suitcases around. We only have a small regional airport in our area. Flying the less than an hour flight to LAX is ridiculously expensive plus the cost of parking for two weeks and needing a night's stay...so we opted for the local airport shuttle to LAX (about 31/2 hours) which will end up costing us less and much less stress for us w/o driving L.A. freeways.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
680 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Non-stop flights to Costa Rica from the U.S.

I live in San Francisco. Last time we went to CR we did the Taca flight that leaves here about 1 a.m. and has the shortest layover imaginable in El Salvador (like 35 minutes!). I would do it again but it doesn't seem to be available for our dates (we're going April 2014 - spring break so we need specific dates) and then I found the Delta flight from LAX, where we leave SFO at 8 pm, about an hour flight to LA, 1.5 hour layover, then stright to San Jose. Longer overall travel time than the Taca one but next best thing I can find. If anyone knows of something better let me know? But I'm trying to leave after kids are done school on Friday and don't want to waste all Saturday flying so overnight is probably our best bet.

Edited: 5:30 pm, October 02, 2013
Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Non-stop flights to Costa Rica from the U.S.

Some of those fights are seasonal (ex PHX)

Lacsas flights are code shares with US airways.

Some flights only operate 1 or 2 times a week (ex Chicago)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Non-stop flights to Costa Rica from the U.S.

Just to bump this up. Southwest airlines is now stating that it will be late 2014 before they will be flying to Costa Rica. This coming from a friend that works for Southwest.

9. Re: Non-stop flights to Costa Rica from the U.S.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 11, 2014