We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Costa Rica

Nova Scotia
7 posts
Save Topic
Family trip to Costa Rica

We're a family of four heading to Costa Rica as the first stop on a round-the-world trip. Our kids are aged 9 and 11. We're planning on spending 2 weeks in Costa Rica and would like advice on a good itinerary. We'll be there in the month of mid-late November. I've been to Costa Rica once already on a surfing trip. We spent a week in Playa Grande but didn't see much of anything else besides some great surf. Would love any advice for our family.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip to Costa Rica

A more "interactive" trip would be La Fortuna by Arenal Volcano with a ton of fun things to do (white water river rafting, kayaking, hiking, zip lines, rappelling down waterfalls and much more). Also check out the Caribbean side of CR with crystal blue waters and surf as well. With two weeks you could easily fit in one more location and not be rushed so check out Monteverde, Rincon de la Vieja or Manuel Antonio/Dominical area. Enjoy!

Naranjo, Costa Rica
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip to Costa Rica

Hi!

We take families on tour and they love to split their time between beach, volcanoes and rain forest. 2 weeks is enough time to enjoy Costa Rica's hotspots.

I recommend you this: 1- Tortuguero (amazing canals and tons of wildlife), 2- Sarapiqui (rainforest, chocolate tour, white water rafting, tubing) 3- Arenal (hot springs, Zip Line, horseback rides, hikes), 4- Monteverde (night hikes, cloud forest train, aerial tram,hanging bridges)5- Playa Hermosa Guanacaste (good for swimming and water sports)

We invite you to check our website www.cooltour.cr, we also offers exclusive shuttle services for families.

Pura Vida!

- Jorge

Baltimore
Level Contributor
66 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip to Costa Rica

Our family loved the Osa Peninsula. Off the beaten path with great wildlife, hiking, surfing, horseback riding. It requires a long drive or short flight but don't you always need to put in a little extra to appreciate the best things in life.

San Jose
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip to Costa Rica

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k1624…

nyc
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Family trip to Costa Rica

I recently just came back from Costa Rica on a fun filled trip with my family. But we were all 25 and up. For kids, I think the arenal area (La Fortuna), and one of the beach areas will be ideal for you and your family.

In the Arenal area, you can go on a boat trip on the Cano Negro (you get to observe so much animals (howling monkey, white face monkey, different types of birds, cayman, frogs, lizards, fruit bats, cows, horses, dogs, etc) on this boat ride, and the lunch included was delicious. The boat ride did not require much walking, which may be ideal for your kids. Also, you can go to one of the hot springs and relax there. I went to Tabacon (it was beautiful, and a very delicious lunch/dinner buffet was served). And, you can do a hike in the Arenal National Park to see nature, or do the hanging bridge.

I did not go to the carribean side for the beach part, but heard it was very scenic and beautiful. I went with my family to Manuel Antonio and it was fun as well. You can go to the manuel antonio national park (a baby sloth can be spotted there), go to the beach and relax, do a night walk tour, hanging bridge. They have atv and horse back riding here as well.

Have a wonderful time with your family when you go there in November :)

6. Re: Family trip to Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 25, 2014