We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vamos Car Rental

Portland...
Level Contributor
40 posts
83 reviews
78 helpful votes
Vamos Car Rental

We just returned from a week-long trip to Costa Rica. We rented a 4 x 4 from Vamos in San Jose. I would not hesitate to rent from them again. Their rate was by far the lowest rate we were able to find on a 4 x 4 for the week and their service was great. We were met promptly at the airport when we arrived and were shuttled to the rental office. There was no one else there and the paperwork went quickly. Once back in San Jose for our return, we were again alone in the rental office and the paperwork was promptly processed and we were then shuttled to the airport. Our 4 x 4 was not brand new but it was certainly more than functional for our needs for the week. All the agents we dealt with at Vamos were friendly and efficient and I would recommend them highly.

214 replies to this topic
1 post
1 review
211. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Great experience with Vamos Rent-a-Car

My husband, sister and niece visted Costa Rica for the first time from Nov. 6 to 16, 2018. As we were planning to stay in three locations: Playa Hermosa on the Pacific Coast, El Arenal, and Santa Elena/Monteverde, we rented a Mitsubishi Montero. We reserved it well ahead of time, from Vamos Rent-a-Car, because I had read many positive Tripadvisor posts about this company.

A very congenial Vamos representative picked us up promptly at the Liberia airport and drove us the short way to the rental office. The rental arrangements went smoothly. I presented a letter from my credit card (Desjardins Odyssey Visa) stating I had CDW insurance. It was accepted without hassle. The vehicle we received was quite new and in excellent shape.

Unfortunately, the vehicle sustained damage near the end of the trip. We were charged $2,700US, the estimated repair cost, by Vamos upon returning of the vehicle. Collecting this money back from from my credit card insurance required substantial paperwork. This was extra work for Vamos Rent-a-Car, but they came through with everything, and were pleasant to deal throughout. A big commendation to Jose Andres Rodriguez, Fleet Manager, who handled the paperwork, and also to Alex Villalobos, the Operations Manager. I am happy to recommend Vamos Rent a Car, and would certainly rent from with them again.

1 post
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
212. Re: Vamos Car Rental

would use this company again with no problem. David took care of us and was very professional. All worked out very nice. Hope to see you again David Thanks so much for all you info Dennis and Jeanne walker

Dorchester Ontario
Level Contributor
3 posts
56 reviews
28 helpful votes
213. Re: Vamos Car Rental

After reading a great deal of negative information about the complications of renting cars in Costa Rica, I researched every option and settled on Vamos. First of all, it is necessary to realize that car rentals in Costa Rica tend to be expensive regardless of what company you use. There are mandatory charges that simply cannot be avoided. If you recognize the fact that car rental is going to be a major expense and you budget accordingly, that will reduce some stress!

Vamos was an excellent choice for us! We knew exactly what we were going to pay because they do not try to hide any charges. What they quote is what you pay. Whenever I emailed them, they got right back to me immediately. They had someone waiting for us at the Liberia airport to transport us the 5 minutes to their office where it took about 20 minutes to get the paperwork done and then we were on our way. Everyone that we dealt with in their office spoke English perfectly. We had to cut our vacation short by a week and they made that alteration in our rental agreement simple for us. They redid our paperwork and were very understanding and flexible.

Vamos takes the guess work out of car rental in Costa Rica. I highly recommend them!

Purley, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
9 helpful votes
214. Re: Vamos Car Rental

We rented a Suzuki Vitara (mid-size 4x4) for two weeks in March 2019. Our experience with Vamos was perfect from the airport pick-up, handover of the car, the car itself the return, also knowing the exact cost in advance. Would definitely recommend. Also, if you are going anywhere other that on the main routes you definitely need a 4x4 - some of the roads we went on were very interesting..........

Reply to: Vamos Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted