We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vamos Car Rental

Portland...
Level Contributor
40 posts
83 reviews
Vamos Car Rental

We just returned from a week-long trip to Costa Rica. We rented a 4 x 4 from Vamos in San Jose. I would not hesitate to rent from them again. Their rate was by far the lowest rate we were able to find on a 4 x 4 for the week and their service was great. We were met promptly at the airport when we arrived and were shuttled to the rental office. There was no one else there and the paperwork went quickly. Once back in San Jose for our return, we were again alone in the rental office and the paperwork was promptly processed and we were then shuttled to the airport. Our 4 x 4 was not brand new but it was certainly more than functional for our needs for the week. All the agents we dealt with at Vamos were friendly and efficient and I would recommend them highly.

208 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
20,488 posts
62 reviews
201. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Not what anyone would like to experience, for sure. What exact time you have exited the immigration? Anyway, as glitches do happens, and can be had on both sides (your flight might be delayed also, not an excuse but a possible option), that is why I am always recommending the folks to get the room near the airport, and to get the car next morning. What difference can make, sleeping in Jaco vs sleeping in Alajuela?!

Anyway I am curious if mr.Alex V. from Vamos will reply, and if so, what his words will be. Thanks for sharing.

Los Angeles...
1 post
202. Re: Vamos Car Rental

We are planning on using Vamos for our trip in Feb. Our flight arrives around 4PM, how strict are the pickup times? Not sure how long it will take to get through customs, but should we just say 5PM? When does Vamos close? Thanks in advance!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
51 reviews
203. Re: Vamos Car Rental

They will ask for your flight information and they pay attention to arrivals. If you have any concerns, I suggest that you send them a message. I have always found Vamos representatives to be highly communicative.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
204. Re: Vamos Car Rental

HIG-CR2018,

For the readers here, allow me to summarize what I wrote to you in my email reply.

First and foremost, I want to apologize for your group’s inconvenience and undue stress.

We have tracked the issue down, imposed strict consequences on the member of staff responsible, and implemented another layer to ensure quality service.

In addition, we will be reimbursing your car rental expenses. It was our fault and we own up to it.

Last by not least, I would like to add as a public service announcement as to why no one was able to reach the office at that time. Simply put, the phone system is programmed to answer with the 'after hours and roadside assistance' messages after 10pm local time. As a part of the correction process, we’re adding more accessibility to our shuttle drivers/late night counter staff apart from this telephone system.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
205. Re: Vamos Car Rental

I understand your anxiousness Bernie due to recent events.

Our website does work diligently to answer questions like these, but for a recap…since you did not mention which airport you were planning to arrive…our standard office hours for SJO are 6am to 10pm, while the Liberian office is 7am until 7pm.

We have a 'full-time' greeter stationed curbside at the airport, while the shuttle driver does his routes. Unless it’s an extreme circumstance, someone will be waiting for you when you depart Immigration’s doors. However, in such cases that may arise, I would suggest calling our local number, even after hours, and using the 'emergency' option to reach a manager at home — if needed.

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
528 posts
30 reviews
206. Re: Vamos Car Rental

And that's how a responsible professional company responds when they make a mistake. We had a excellent experience with Vamos in April so it's good to see that they respond appropriately when the experience is not great.

2 posts
2 reviews
207. Re: Vamos Car Rental

As a follow up, Vamos Rent-A-Car did contact us and took responsibility for their error. They even follow through on their promise and refunded our rental fees with another company. While it was inconvenient, I feel that their actions show that they are truly concern for their costumers. And will provide them the opportunity to rent from them again.

Their business ethic has been proven to be above many companies that we have done business with while on vacations.

I WILL HIGHLY RECOMMEND USING VAMOS RENT-A-CAR.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
20,488 posts
62 reviews
208. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Thank you very much for coming back with latest news. And to Alex V, that is how a reputable business has to act; while mistakes are part of everyone's life, business or private, how to react is what separate good from bad.

Reply to: Vamos Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted