We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vamos Car Rental

Portland...
Level Contributor
40 posts
83 reviews
76 helpful votes
Vamos Car Rental

We just returned from a week-long trip to Costa Rica. We rented a 4 x 4 from Vamos in San Jose. I would not hesitate to rent from them again. Their rate was by far the lowest rate we were able to find on a 4 x 4 for the week and their service was great. We were met promptly at the airport when we arrived and were shuttled to the rental office. There was no one else there and the paperwork went quickly. Once back in San Jose for our return, we were again alone in the rental office and the paperwork was promptly processed and we were then shuttled to the airport. Our 4 x 4 was not brand new but it was certainly more than functional for our needs for the week. All the agents we dealt with at Vamos were friendly and efficient and I would recommend them highly.

212 replies to this topic
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,471 posts
51 reviews
73 helpful votes
181. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Sad the same Old People knock New Visitors for their posts. Vamos receives overwhelmingly Positive Posts!

Canada
Level Contributor
5,418 posts
68 reviews
48 helpful votes
182. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Irritating isn't it. Almost as bad as the constant bullying of a regular poster who provides first hand experience and useful links!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
183. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Totally Agree. Vamos did a fabulous job of educating us about Costa Rican rentals. We rented a SUV for 9 days, picking it up in SJO and dropping it off in Liberia. It was exactly as advertised: fair price/exact price as originally signed for, good condition car, everyone agreed on the pre-existing bumps and scratches, and easily picked up and return.

One thing we didn't understand was that there would be a full-cost hold on our credit card--even after the return. But within a few days after our return, the hold was withdrawn and only the single charge was implemented.

Also, a heads up: We rented the WAZE phone from Vamos--both for security and access to the WAZE app as I couldn't get a straight answer as to whether or not Verizon would work in Costa Rica. Turns out that the Verizon $10 a day World Access did work. And so in the long run we didn't need to have rented the phone. The phone's charging cable didn't work--but i always have a number of cables with me and we used our own cable for the duration of the trip. I'm pretty sure that they would have come to us and replaced it if we had let them know.

All in all, it was a great experience renting from Vamos!

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
184. Re: Vamos Car Rental

I just called them and Luis Diego was helping me with a 90 day rental. He actually went out of his way to really help. There were some complicated issues surrounding using my credit card to pay for one type of insurance (the collision insurance). Instead of getting annoyed or rejecting the coverage, he explained ways that the company could actually HELP facilitate things and help keep it less expensive.

He replied to my request for a quote in under 24 hours too. Incredible.

He also gave me a rate that was much lower than any of the competitors I could find. So even though I have not rented yet. I really recommend their service and attitude. Thanks Luis!

1 post
185. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Where can i find images of the current fleet?

Martinsburg...
Level Contributor
469 posts
6 reviews
6 helpful votes
186. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Orane,

Do you mean photos of the actual cars themselves? Photos of the types of cars are on the website when you are renting, as I expect you have already seen.

If you want photos of the actual cars, I am not sure what you're getting at. For one, you don't reserve a specific car, you reserve a specific class/type. They will have a bunch of whatever class you are renting, and you'll get any one of them. And if you are trying to assess the overall condition of the 'fleet', any number of reviews can provide you the same general scoop: their fleet isn't as consistently new as some firms, nor are they old and shot. Some will be on the newer side and some a bit closer to the end of their rental lifetime, but all will be maintained and serviceable.

If anything, one that has been around for a while has some advantages. If it looks a bit worn at the edges, has a nick and a scratch here and there, it will less stand out and scream "rental" out on the roads. (Locals will still know, true, but at least it 'blends' a little.) Also, if somehow you end up causing a tiny nick or ding somewhere, it will be less obvious to the agent doing the return, and you are less likely to be charged over it.

For what it's worth, in my previous Vamos rental, our Montero was on the older side of their fleet at that time, but served us just fine. And they didn't fine-tooth comb it when we brought it back, just gave it a quick once-over for any obvious new damage. Not that we had caused any, but some folks report on some agencies using return time as a way to make extra money by finding 'new' damages.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
20,766 posts
62 reviews
51 helpful votes
187. Re: Vamos Car Rental

I am always asking for the oldest horse in the pack. For all the reasons explained by Oliverbenny.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
27 posts
76 reviews
109 helpful votes
188. Re: Vamos Car Rental

We also just returned from CR, rented from Vamos, got a 4X4 automatic a mid size which was very much needed since we had 4 people, and the 4 x 4 was absolutely needed going to Monteverde Cloud Forest. I sent them ahead of time the collision coverage from my credit card co, so there was no issue at all. I did have to leave a $2,000 credit card deposit, which again was very clear from our emails, no surprises. A bit weary however they required two credit card imprints to cover anything else. Of course we had no issues whatsoever, and the only thing that was charged was the original rental amount, which was an excellent price. Having read all the horror stories about car rental in CR on TA, I am sure glad i went with Vamos.

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
189. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Just returned from a week in Playa Hermosa Guanacaste (Aug 11-18) and rented a Toyota Landcruiser and 2 other 4x4's and I cant say enough great things about Vamos Rent a Car. Transparent pricing(several insurance options) and top notch service were provided to our group of 12 . Everything was as they said it would be and we were very happy. Will definitely use them again when we return! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
190. Re: Vamos Car Rental

We rented from Vamos in mid-August 2018, and it was a great experience. We are returning in January and will also rent from them. It was great! They picked us up at the airport, drove us a short distance to their rental office, they were clear and transparent about the costs, and it was not overpriced. Friendly, fast service. Their service was beyond what I am used to in America when renting a vehicle.

Reply to: Vamos Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted