We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vamos Car Rental

Portland...
Level Contributor
40 posts
83 reviews
76 helpful votes
Vamos Car Rental

We just returned from a week-long trip to Costa Rica. We rented a 4 x 4 from Vamos in San Jose. I would not hesitate to rent from them again. Their rate was by far the lowest rate we were able to find on a 4 x 4 for the week and their service was great. We were met promptly at the airport when we arrived and were shuttled to the rental office. There was no one else there and the paperwork went quickly. Once back in San Jose for our return, we were again alone in the rental office and the paperwork was promptly processed and we were then shuttled to the airport. Our 4 x 4 was not brand new but it was certainly more than functional for our needs for the week. All the agents we dealt with at Vamos were friendly and efficient and I would recommend them highly.

212 replies to this topic
6 posts
171. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Thanks for the suggestion. Though we tend to travel light, the larger size might be useful. I am actually more concerned with the maneuverability and safety of the vehicle on rough, washed out roads with large potholes that I remember from a past visit in April that was not so rainy as I expect it to be in July.

Johns Island, South...
1 post
1 review
172. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Just got back from a trip to Liberia. Cannot say enough good things about Vamos. Best rates, best service.

New City, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
38 helpful votes
173. Re: Vamos Car Rental

I just returned from Costa Rica and rented a 4x4 SUV from Vamos. I am recommending them to everyone. At first, when you start reading this, you might wonder why, but as you read on, you'll understand.

The vehicle looked good. We took off from San Jose and got to La Fortuna without a hitch. In the morning we drove over to the park to take a hike around the volcano. When we returned to the vehicle, it wouldn't start. We were stranded in the parking lot of Arenal Volcano and our vacation was going to go down the toilet. Not speaking Spanish made getting help a problem. We tried getting a boost from a couple of people but the car still wouldn't start. We called Vamos.

It took a while to get things sorted out. They made contact with a local guy who came on a motorcycle with a battery charger and he succeeded in getting the car started. We got to our AirBnB, the motorcyclist followed us "just in case" and once we got there, we shut the engine and tried to start it but the thing was dead as a door nail.

Vamos made arrangements to have a car delivered. They had a man drive it 3 hours to our AirBnB. He installed a new battery in the car with a bad one (it was probably more than the battery - most likely the alternator that was shot) but we took the much newer one that he drove up and he took the car with the bad one.

When you go to a foreign country, one that you might think has less consumer protections than we might be used to, this is the type of situation that you fear happening. Vamos stepped up big time and were so accommodating to us from start to finish. They paid for cabs we took while we didn't have a usable vehicle. They took care of us and, at the end, waived off some extra fees. They get an A++++ rating from me. The vacation was terrific when it could have been a disaster. Feel good about using these guys. Feel really good.

Edited: 10:20 am, February 27, 2018
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
20,795 posts
62 reviews
51 helpful votes
174. Re: Vamos Car Rental

That is when the really good guys stand out of the crowd ... when problems are to be sorted out, quickly and efficiently! Saying that Vamos is a great rental car company because nothing went wrong is, well, not much. But saying Vamos is a great rental car company because they have acted as expected in the time of need, like in your case, says it all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
459 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
175. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Used Vamos very recently and ould echo they were excellent

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
176. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Rented from Vamos in Feb/Mar 2018 for 12 days, super great experience with the vehicle and the staff...I would recommend them in a second!

Edited: 1:21 pm, March 07, 2018
New York City
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
13 helpful votes
177. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Just used Vamos for a two-week jaunt around Costa Rica, thanks to the advice given here. Thank you, all! The vehicle was an excellent 4x4, and we had exceptional service from a Vamos exec named Mauricio Rojas, who came to our hotel the morning after we arrived and walked us through the paperwork. We simply left the SUV in the parking lot of the airport before our early morning departure. Easy, and comparatively cheap. A top-flight operation.

J S
Lexington, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
178. Re: Vamos Car Rental

I rented from Vamos for the 2 weeks I was in CR. Great experience, They delivered the car to my hotel for no charge. (I did tip the guy $20 because he made it so convenient.) There was a cooler in the car; no charge. My girlfriend was allowed to also drive at no extra charge. When we returned the car, they drove us to the hotel and dropped us off; once again, no charge. If I go back to Costa Rica, this is who I am renting from.

179. Re: Vamos Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 pm, May 27, 2018

Alafaya, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
8 helpful votes
180. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Can you rent from Vamos starting in Liberia and ending in San Jose?

Reply to: Vamos Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted