We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vamos Car Rental

Connecticut
Level Contributor
35 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Vamos Car Rental

We just returned from a week-long trip to Costa Rica. We rented a 4 x 4 from Vamos in San Jose. I would not hesitate to rent from them again. Their rate was by far the lowest rate we were able to find on a 4 x 4 for the week and their service was great. We were met promptly at the airport when we arrived and were shuttled to the rental office. There was no one else there and the paperwork went quickly. Once back in San Jose for our return, we were again alone in the rental office and the paperwork was promptly processed and we were then shuttled to the airport. Our 4 x 4 was not brand new but it was certainly more than functional for our needs for the week. All the agents we dealt with at Vamos were friendly and efficient and I would recommend them highly.

184 replies to this topic
New Egypt
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
151. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Great experience with our rental. We were greeted by an associate at the airport in San Jose, and took us right to the office. Our vehicle was a brand new 2017 Mitsubishi 4x4. Check out was fast. What we were quoted online was exactly what we paid, total transparency! We use the Waze phone for navigation and it worked great. Were drove up to Arenal, then down to Puerto Viejo near the border of Panama. This is the best car rental place in Costa Rica, hands down.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
152. Re: Vamos Car Rental

We rented a car from Vamos in July 2017 for the second time. They have really nice staff and we appreciated their quick responses to our emails. Also, we got lost trying to return the car and were 2 hours late, but they didn't charge us extra. Thanks, Vamos!

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
153. Re: Vamos Car Rental

We rented a 4x4 Toyota Rav4 from Vamos Car Rental in September 2017. The experience was OK. The rental car office in San Jose was right across the street from the hotel we were at (Holiday Inn) which made picking up the car easy. The paperwork went smoothly, but the car itself left a lot to be desired.

I don't consider myself to have high standards, but the Rav4 was easily 10+ years old. Lots of scratches, bumps, bruises, and stains. We were able to pick out a car seat for our 1 year old daughter that was included in the cost of the rental, but the selection of car seats left a lot to be desired. There was a broom closet with lots of older used car seats messily piled high up on each other. Most of them had missing pieces and were pretty ragged. I finally found one that was in one piece and had less cushion than I would have liked, but it worked out. I had to install it myself though. The car was extremely filthy when it was given to us. Obviously not washed ahead of time. It looked like it had just gone off-roading. The back license plate wasn't legible because it was covered in mud all the way up to the rear window.

The drop off location in Liberia was right next to the Liberia airport which was nice, but was a bit run down and we were happy to get shuttled quickly off to the airport after dropping the car off. There was a large pricing discrepancy from when we booked online, picked the car up, and dropped the car off. I had to be personally diligent about all the details to get them straight at each step. I thought their system would have been sophisticated enough to have the pricing details synchronized throughout the process.

Overall, everything worked out OK, but Vamos definitely didn't seem first class. If you're wanting something nicer, spend the slightly extra money and go with someone else.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
154. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Hello Brendan J,

My name is Alex Villalobos and I am the operations manager at Vamos Rent-A-Car. Thank you for your detailed and informative feedback regarding your car rental experience. Please allow me to apologize that it was not to your (or my) satisfaction.

I am pleased to read that the paperwork went smoothly, and that both of our offices were conveniently located.

The RAV4 should have been clean, I could not agree more with you on that point. We have employees responsible for vehicle washing, as well as in-house mechanics to ensure that cars are maintained to the highest standards. As you will have observed, the roads in Costa Rica are punishing to vehicles, as the vehicle in question is actually a 2013 model and has only been in service for four years.

Equally, child seats receive significant wear and tear, but as a parent myself, I would want my child to be seated in a clean and comfortable seat. Seating is regularly replaced and should be adequately stored. This is an issue that will be a priority on our staff training schedule. Neither the vehicle or child seat condition follow our protocols, unfortunately, the team member who served you was dealing with a terminally ill family member and was (understandably) distracted. I am sorry that this affected the start of your rental.

Due to insurance reasons, our staff members cannot attach a child seat into any rental vehicle. This should have been explained so you understood that it was not an unwillingness to assist you on our part.

When I contacted the Liberia office today, the lead counter confirmed that the seasonal discount that should have been applied to your rental was overlooked at first. I apologize for the error on behalf of my co-worker and I am pleased that this was quickly rectified. The system should have automatically adjusted to account for the discount, as both the promo date and the date of your reservation were the same. It will be an issue for our programmers to address, as it does have the sophistication to apply such adjustments as one would expect.

I am always disappointed when we as a company fail to meet client expectations, but I thank you for bringing them to my attention. I would greatly appreciate you contacting me directly to follow up on these issues or any others that you would like to discuss at alex@vamosrentacar.com.

Miami, Florida
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
155. Re: Vamos Car Rental

yanqui87,

There are no hidden fees from Vamos..everything is clear and detailed on their website.

SLI - is REQUIRED in C.R. like in many other places in the world.

BASIC CDW = $750 Required Deposit.

FULL CDW = $100. Required Deposit.

If you choose to ONLY get the required (SLI) you will need to present an email or letter from your CC company, also your CC the deposit will be $2,000. Hope this helps!

I have rented with Vamos before and have no bad reviews. They are transparent and no hidden fees!

Miami, Florida
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
156. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Tom W,

Brand new 2017!? That's AWESOME!!

chicago,illinois
1 post
Save Reply
157. Re: Vamos Car Rental

I would like to rent a car for 11 weeks, Jan Thru March of 2018.I would be traveling to different parts of Costa Rica. 1.can I rent a car for that long? 2 can I get a great price ? and 3 where can I get the discount card that I heard about.my e mail is rqlugo21@gmail.com

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,441 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
158. Re: Vamos Car Rental

ad 1. yes

ad 2. yes

ad 3. ?? this one: https://costaricadiscount.com/

United States
Level Contributor
54 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
159. Re: Vamos Car Rental

Hi Alex,

On the website it says all quotes include a complimentary cell phone but on the order form itself a phone is $5/day (it says complimentary when you mouse over that option ?

What is the benefit of using a GPS instead of a phone with Waze - other than potential poor cell coverage?

Thanks.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
783 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
160. Re: Vamos Car Rental

I am not Alex but we used the waze phone and gps from Vamos last year and found the waze app to be more useful, cheaper and it lead to the correct place every time.The GPS sent us down a wrong way street,

Reply to: Vamos Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted