We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to pack

I am going to Costa Rica next week for 10 days. We are going to Arenal, Monteverde and Manuel Antonio - do I just need to take shorts and t-shirts or will any of these places be cooler? Is it ok to just hike with converses or do I need proper hiking boots?

Blairsden
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack

I, too, am stumped re packing for 12 days

trip--mostly re hiking/walking shoes and how much warm clothes for higher elevations. Will be in Arenal, Tortuguerro, Monteverde, and will be doing alot of walking/hiking. I have liteweight high ankle Merrel hiking boot, but thinking will be too "heavy". Also hoping open toe Tevas ok for less strenuous walks, but concerned about bugs etc. Staying at Volcano Lodge (Arenal), Pachira (Tortoguerro), trapp Family (Monteverde). Love wonderful advice, thie is superduper site!

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack

Well, for something like Manuel Antonio the trails are very light and basic so trainers (or even flip flops!) are fine. Similar the walks around arenal volcano. However some hikes require something more robust, such as the one to San Luis waterfall in monteverde (highly recommended) and the SkyWalk+ before zip-lining in arenal (also highly recommended).

It'll be a lot warmer now than when we were there in November but some light long trousers n shirt may be advisable for the evenings.

Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
73 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack

I would bring light weight rain gear, fabrics that dry quick, and shoes that an be washed and will dry. I bring some "disposable" clothes to leave behind for a person who needs these items more than me. Including swim suits, shoes, t shirts, items I save purchased very cheap and can spare.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,962 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack

I'm going in 13 days, to some of the places mentioned (Tortuguero, Monteverde, Arenal) and am also confused, packing-wise.

I go to Mexico a lot so have a standard tropical wardrobe and I have fairly sturdy shoes (in between boots and walking shoes....very comfy/sturdy) and probably won't be doing too much heavy-duty hiking but the thing that seems to be recommended is long sleeves (maybe for the bugs?). Are long-sleeves (other than light rain gear or a windbreaker) necessary to ward off insects --- like every day?

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack

so when we're hiking during the day, we won't feel the cold, even in the mornings? im considering whetehr to pack leggings and light thermal jumpers just for the early-morning hikes. the thing is, we're only taking hand luggage so i need to really limit how many clothes i take.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack

It may be cool in the morning, but unless you are in Monteverde, you won't need anything like thermal jumpers. A lightweight, long-sleeve shirt will be fine. You can see more about the actual weather here from the actual Costa Rican weather service: http://www.imn.ac.cr/ I can't say what you will need to wear because I don't know your tolerance for temperature. Based on what is happening now in the UK, I would say you could probably get by with wearing only tank tops and shorts! It should feel very warm to you!

And by the way,COJewls, it's kind of insulting to purposely bring some old clothes and leave them. If you want to leave your stuff, fine. But don't think you are doing anyone a favor.

Many people on this forum who have been to Cuba are under the impression that Costa Rica is similar and nothing could be further from the truth.

If you want to "leave" something - leave money.

marly - one long-sleeve shirt and long pants are recommended because it can get cool at night and also if you want to wear them for hiking in the forest. You won't get attacked by swarms of mosquitoes like on the Arctic tundra, but they will be here and there. It depends on your level of reaction to mosquitoes. How many will also depend on the time of year and location.

Edited: 8:14 am, January 21, 2013
Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
73 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to pack

Oh now Hattie ...you are insulting in the definitive term. And be careful to judge someone's actions when you have no idea of the intention.

All of the clothing and shoes I have left behind are new and purchased at REI, for the trip, the remainder of the $$$ spent by my party of six this year, hopefully won't be anywhere near your doorstep!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to pack

COJewles: You wrote this: ".... I bring some "disposable" clothes to leave behind for a person who needs these items more than me. Including swim suits, shoes, t shirts, items I save purchased very cheap and can spare...."

This doesn't sound like to me anything that was bought at REI. But perhaps you just didn't make yourself clear in your original post.

People do make the mistake of bringing old clothes to Costa Rica and yes, it is insulting. If you want to bring something to leave, bring money. Your cast-off pair of shorts is not going to help the lady cleaning your room buy school supplies for her kids.

Where you spend your money in Costa Rica is your own business. I have no business interest whatsoever in Costa Rica so it's of no consequence to me.

I do hope that you and your group will have an enjoyable trip.

Blairsden
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to pack

Thanks to all for packing ideas. I really appreciate people taking time to respond. I also appreciate the weather website---thx so much!

Blairsden
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to pack

hi-thx for your response to my packing ?'s. re your ? about long sleeves: I use Columbia shirts---they're a synthetic "wicking" and sun guard. They are great in hot sun (keep you cool), and also work well as layer for a little more warmth. I've read lots of varying info re mosquitoes etc--they tend to "like" me, so I'm gonna want the xtra protection! Have a great trip!